Rocky, my rooster, torn up by huge dog!

feliciamckee

Chirping
8 Years
May 17, 2011
J Bro
I have read many posts on here about dog attacks and what to do for them but I still have to put this on here! Two days ago, I was out in the garden with my rooster... a JG, when a huskey mix the size of a small horse came onto our property. This dog has been know to get out on occasion and we all knew he would be a problem but I always thought if I was out with them, I would be able to protect them. Not so! I was chasing the dog chasing the chicken. It was early so grass was still wet and I kept slipping and falling in the mud. The dog got him in his mouth about 4 times. I knew he was dead. He lived...the police and animal control was called...the dog was taken away and the owners were fined. The animal control officer was wonderful. He took lots of pics and told me he would take them to court.

About Rocky...all the feathers on his back are gone and so are all of his beautiful long, black tail feathers. There is a patch under his wing about the size of a grapefruit with absolutely NO skin on it. It is raw flesh! He seems ok but the wound has puncture marks and is starting to look green which I know is not good. We have been putting the wound spray on it once a day and we put the anti biotics in his water. He is eating like normal and I assume drinking but I have not seen him drink. He did start crowing again today so that gives me hope.

It was HORRIBLE! My little girls were crying, there are STILL feathers all over the yard and we are very worried about him. It will help me just to be able to talk about it. Thanks!

I'm so sorry you and your rooster had to go through this
hugs.gif
It's wonderful you had no losses.

As far as the wound, keep flushing it and putting the antibacterial spray on it. Putting antibiotics in the water is a good idea. Those puncture marks are going to take a while to heal, and probably introduced some nasty stuff into his system. If you're worried about him not drinking, dribble the water down the side of his beak, and he will be forced to swallow it.

You're doing great with him! Best of luck!

Quote:
What you seeing that looks green is most likely brusing. just keep on with what your doing, chickens are amazing and can come back from horrific wounds. you can also give him baby aspirin if you feel he's in pain. All the best to you and Rocky, and please keep us updated. Also don't put him back with the rest of the flock till healed or he might get pecked up bad and you'd have to start all over.

I am using Duramycin-10 in his water. I am new to chickens and this is what the associate at Tractor Supply suggested. Our vet wouldn't tell us anything. Even called the local farm animal vet and the only thing they offered was to put him down! I hope this is the right kind. If not, where would I get the kind suggested? Also, I only have one other hen so far so he isn't with any other chickens.
Actually, the way it happened, I think he sacrificed himself to save our hen, Ginger. He lead the dog far away from her. Our neighbors are very supportive and he is popular with everyone so they are helping me keep a look out for the dog. What upsets me the most is they knew their dog was was loose and didn't even look for it! Their 13 year old daughter was even laughing about it! We are supposed to go to their house Mon. to collect the money they owe us and the animal control officer says if they do not pay, they will be fined up to $800.00 in court. I don't even want their money...I want them to keep their dog off my land!

I would make them pay to take your chicken to the vet. Dog bites are nasty and I would suggest a better antibiotic. Penicillian can be bought at TSC in the cooler, for cattle. I normally give 1 cc for 3 days injected in a muscle or even under the skin. If you have any penicillin/ amoxicillian capsules for people, that works too, or you can even buy the capsules for fish at a pet store... same thing. TSC people always offer Duramycian as a cure all...............
roll.png

Ok I will go right away to get some of that. I don't know if they are open on Sundays and if not, I will go first thing tomorrow morning.

Yes, the animal control officer told me to take him to the vet and they would have to pay. He even gave me the number of the one to call. They are the farm animal vet but they still do not take care of poultry. When I told Wayne (the officer) he couldn't believe it because he said he took an owl there once and they took care of it. I called every vet in my area. I could take him to the vet school at the University of Tennesse ( I used to live there and took a cockatiel once) but that is in Knoxville and is 2 hours away.

To be honest, I think most ppl do not think chickens are worth it! My friend who has chickens tried to take one of her hens once and the vet asked her, "why bother? They only cost like $10...just replace it. You pay more than that in vet bills." Are you kidding me?
barnie.gif
Do these ppl not know we love our chickens and they are just as worthy as our dogs and cats! If that vet could have seen my little 8 year old crying her eyes out over Rocky she would think differently I hope.

I appreciate all the advice. We will be devastated if he dies.

I have had similar injuries and have had the bird recover. Other times, they have not, and here is what I have learned.

- Tetracycline injected is a miracle. It is easy to do and the vet can show you, plus there are instructions if you google it.
- Maggots are a risk. I hate to even say this, but my favorite hen ever was bitten by the next door neighbor's dog. They knew this happened, and did not tell me. There were three puncture marks under a wing and I did not see them until it was too late, and I had to put her down.
- Green tissue could be bruising, but I doubt it. Tissue will die and become "necrotic" if the blood supply is cut off. If a piece if tissue is next to another area that was badly wounded OR has become infected, the blood supply to the healthy tissue will be cut off, it will die, and it will be invaded by bacteria. Give him a sniff, that should tell you if the tissue is rotten. If so, he needs antibiotics (injected) or the exact right dose of oral ASAP. It is hard to be sure of oral antibiotics if you put that in water or food because once they get sick they don't eat and drink well
- Feed yogurt to deal with the loss of intestinal flora caused by the antibiotics. Feed high-energy yummy stuff to bring his strength up

I had a hen torn up by a raccoon - terrible wounds. She survived. She is still healthy. It took a long time, with injected antibiotics, and she lived inside for a while while she healed. I put her outside when she seemed "good enough." The big gaps filled in with scar tissue.

People said "chickens are tough." Most of the birds that I gave good supportive care to have lived, at least for a while. Then they've had more time to do all the things chickens enjoy doing!

p.s. It also occurred to me that if you just went to the farm animal vet and said, "listen, I know how to inject antibiotics and all I want is a script," maybe they would give you one.

Most people don't understand that some people want to keep their birds alive. I have received all kinds of lectures from vets and others. Oh well. Convince them. Everybody must know that roosters can be special, that they can be companions. Try to talk them into it. You just get little insulin syringes. I have had four birds survive that would not otherwise have done so because of injectable antibiotics.

Most feed store do carry the penicillin in the cooler. TSC and most feed stores dont know squat about chickens and their drug of choice is duramycin which is a good antibotic for some things but not real strong. Where I live the TSC is open on Sundays. I work at Rural King and we carry duramycin, Tylan, LA 200, and penicillin. I would get the penicillin like everyone suggested. I am lucky I have a vet in town that treats exotic animals and that includes chickens. I took a rooster in once that had a sinus infection. Boy the strange looks I got. One lady said OMG thats a chicken. I smiled looked at her and said yes a rooster. The boy that weighed him was scared ti pick him up. I told him its ok he wont hurt you. He was awed that he could hold him. I sure hope you guy makes it. So far knock on wood we havent had any problems like that but it is a constant fear.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom