Rocky, my rooster, torn up by huge dog!

Thanks for all the great advice. He seem ok today still but the wound still does not look good. Today, me and my 13 year old (who wants to be a vet) went to do our usual assesment of him. She did smell of the wound and said she couldn't smell anything. I couldn't either and I was the one holding him. It does still look green under the skin. Today we sprayed it down good with a mixture or saline and peroxide. She tried to clear away a few feathers from around the wound but they were attatched still. I also had some ointment that our pediatrician gave us for my kids once. It is like neosporin x 10. We covered as much of the wound and skin as we could.

I am still going to try the pen. His appetite is still good and he is beginning to crow a little more but I know not to get too confidant. Thank you all so much!!!

I have heard: don't treat wounds with peroxide. Sterile saline and antibiotic ointment are better. Peroxide can kill healthy cells and provide a breeding ground for bacteria. But since you diluted it it is prob OK.

I keep forgetting things to say - you can cut the feathers near the wound with scissors so you can keep it clean. You can try to pull the wound togetehr a bit with a butterfly bandage, unless if it is really big. They sell stockings to cover limbs, and you could use one to hold gauze pads or another dressing so the wounds are covered. I kept mine comfortable that way, and it was easier to keep the antibiotic ointment in place when the wound was dressed. I used saline exclusively to clean the wound, and did that once a day.

I hope your roo gets better. I hate to see dogs attack chickens, it makes me sick. Here is a reason I do not like big dogs, mostly pit bulls.
sad.png

http://www.katu.com/entertainment/3623081.html

060713big_red.jpg

Dog kills 'Big Red,' Scio's famous roaming rooster

Published: Jun 23, 2008 at 7:14 PM PDT

SCIO, Ore. - A rooster that became a local fixture in the town of Scio has been killed by a dog.
Big Red brought national attention to the Willamette Valley town after he arrived in 1998 as a hitchhiker in the back of a pickup truck.

The rooster, a Rhode Island Red, made a home for himself at a feed store warehouse - where he crowed to be let out every morning at 8:00.

He would pause on the warehouse steps before heading across the street and down an alley to a grocery, where he waited for a cinnamon roll and a small bowl of water.

After finishing breakfast, Big Red would return to the feed store, making several stops along the way for sliced grapes and popcorn.

He returned to the grocery store around lunch time looking for handouts from students. Every afternoon shortly before 5:00, he returned to the warehouse to be locked up for the night.

It looks like you have the situation under control at this point.
smile.png
I hope your roo recovers quickly. I did want to add that if he is not drinking well, red gatoraid appeals to chickens more than anything else I have tried. I have given it to several badly injured birds here.

Actually it was on here where I did the search when it first happened that one article posted said to use peroxide. I guess just to be save I shouldn't use it often. Yes, it was very diluted and it was sprayed on with a bottle so he wasn't drenched with it. I hope I did the right thing. We are leaving now to go back to TSC for the pen. And it is a VERY large wound. The size of a grapefruit is without any skin at all...raw flesh! His entire back is bare and all his tail feathers gone.

That is so sad about Big Red. They do have very strick laws here even though it is in the county. I know it will be a matter of time before he gets loose again. We drive by their house and they have him tied up to the same flimsy leash that he always breaks! They need to invest in a fence! My neighbor said if he comes in his yard, he will get him with his bird shot. I hate to see an animal shot but they must not be too worried about him getting hurt.

We need a fence too but we have a big back yard and it will cost about 5,000. Maybe next year!!!

I never did find that part out about the dog. All I remember was hearing it was a pit bull which didn't surprise me. It was sad and still bothers me all these years later.
sad.png

I am so sorry this happened. I'm not sure where you live but there may be laws on the books that allow you to protect your "livestock". I know that I can here...I would find out and let the neighbor know if there is such a law. Here I can shoot a dog such as this...even if its only with a pellet gun or a paint ball gun. If nothing else if there is such a law it might scare your neighbor into taking care to make sure there dog doesnt get back on your property. And I would hand them a Bill for anything you are purchasing to care for this sweet boy. The pen, antibiotics, etc!

Back
Top Bottom