RODENTS

EASY ENOUGH
D.gif

Keep your coop and yard rodent free by picking up feed containers at sundown. They like a water source too, so pick up waterers. Birds don't need feed and water at night. Don't leave spilled feed laying around. Don't catch rodents and feed them to your birds as one poster suggested unless you want an outbreak of fowl cholera, parasites, and then dead birds. Don't stack materials, wood piles against walls anywhere around your coop or barn. The more hiding places exist for rodents, the more comfortable they are.

Keep feed stored in galvanized steel garbage cans with tight fitting lids. Use lockable box bait stations with bait chunx like Rampage or Just-One-Bite. Never use poison pellets as they can get scattered and the wrong animal can eat them. Set the bait boxes in strategic areas recommended by the manufacturer, away from children, livestock and pets. If that is the only source of food for rats/ mice, the population will decrease, or they'll go somewhere else for another food source and nesting area.

live traps then throw them in the run with the girls and watch the fun begin
I couldn't pay my chickens to get the mice!!! I bought a new to me/used coop off Craigslist. It came with 5 hens, and a whole family of mice!! I killed a dozen at least!
The hens saw a mouse or 2 under the coop, but never tried to eat them, didn't even chase. I even gave them freshly killed mice and no reactions! A frog though, poor guy for being where I could get to him!

I just do PB on a trap where the chickens can't reach them, and have decent luck with that.
Now that we have 4 barn cats that are good mousers, we have way less mice and voles/moles/gophers!

I couldn't pay my chickens to get the mice!!! I bought a new to me/used coop off Craigslist. It came with 5 hens, and a whole family of mice!! I killed a dozen at least!
The hens saw a mouse or 2 under the coop, but never tried to eat them, didn't even chase. I even gave them freshly killed mice and no reactions! A frog though, poor guy for being where I could get to him!

I just do PB on a trap where the chickens can't reach them, and have decent luck with that.
Now that we have 4 barn cats that are good mousers, we have way less mice and voles/moles/gophers!
Rodents, lizards, and anything else small that moves stands no chance with my girls. I once cheered on a mouse thinking it was going to actually get away.
They chased that poor thing (a gaggle of 8-10 hens) about 1000 feet before they caught it.... then I felt sorry for it!

Back
Top Bottom