Roof on run

I figured that in Canada you'd understand snow load, I just thought I warn anyway. I have a 9' span in one run and have to support it in the center come winter.

We also have a roof on part of our run for shade in summer and cover when it snows. Additionally, for winter, we have put thin plywood up on the north and west sides to block the coldest winds. It has been very cold the last few days, and the birds huddle near the wind blocks during the day.

Thanks I really appreciate all the help! Do you out roosts up outside?? Will the hens sleep on them if they are in the run?

We do have roosts outside. We took a big limb from a downed tree and buried it so the branches are parallel from the ground. Another roost is part of our children's old play set. We took the top of the monkey bars and attached it at a 45 degree angle at the side of the coop. The chickens climb up from the bottom. They roost outside during the day, especially when the rooster is getting amorous and the hens are not "in the mood". At night, though, they always go inside their house. I think they just feel safer there.

I don't have roosts outside but the hens will definitely use them if available.
I have a friend with a nice coop and covered run. Her hens have been sleeping (in quite cold windy conditions) on the roosts in the run for the last 2 winters, never once opting for the warmer less breezy roosts in the coop.

We are now building a 30 by 12 foot run for our 30 hens. Just cleared the spot this afternoon! My husband doesn't believe it needs a roof on all of it. He wants to cover 8 feet. I'm concerned having 22 feet uncovered for airborne predators . Or raccoons and weasels climbing the chain link? He won't be locking them up every night. We go away for a day sometimes so we will have to keep the door to the coop open. If we put minature goats in there will that help? Please thoughts and experiences!

Last edited:
This winter (in Minnesota) we used a tarp for the roof and put heavy plastic on sides which equaled 3/4's of the run. We did put a couple of braces made of 2x6x12s to help with the snow load. We also took snow off of the tarp when it snowed a lot. When the sun shines in it warms it up nicely. We tried to keep a light on in the coop for warmth (temperature outside was -23) but the six chickens have decided they didn't like that and started sleeping outside on a roost that we had put up. We tried to get them to go back inside by shutting off the light but they continue to sleep in the run rather than in the coop. We plan on keeping the roof on during the summer so they can continue to enjoy roosting in the run. They still go in the coop to lay their eggs. This summer we plan on making a better outside roost rather then build a new coop that we had planned on having built. We also will take down the heavy plastic on the sides.

This is what I done last fall,put the clear plastic roofing on,thenput heavy duty plastic around all ends,they now have a sun room and go outside in any weather.I put straw down for them to walk on.In the spring will take off the plastic and put a tarp over the roof and down the sides for shade.They love it
Forgot to add that I bought a roof rake to keep the snow off,

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom