Roos or hens

Im speaking from experience. Your example chart of a barred rock hen is incorrect, from *my experience. Although her (my hen) markings are the same as the charts- her comb is nowhere near the same.

Last edited:
I admitt I could be wrong. I have also learned that when buying chickens, especially from feed stores, they are rarely what I am told they are suppose to be or they are so cross-bred it is hard to pin point sex until someone crows. So again...all I can do is answer the original question from my chick raising experience and tell you that my opinion is one roo and one hen, still.

Last edited:
Im speaking from experience. Your example chart of a barred rock hen is incorrect, from *my experience. Although her (my hen) markings are the same as the charts- her comb is nowhere near the same.

While the comb in the photo is not the ideal, SOP comb for a Plymouth Rock, it is a single comb - which is correct for the breed. A Barred Rock with any comb besides a single would be DQd from even the most lax of show rings, and simply could not be classed as a Barred Rock.

Is your experience based on the photo you provided in your post which I quoted earlier? That bird is not a Barred Rock. The bird in that photo is a Dominique, which is a breed that does possess a rose comb. A Barred Rock, even from hatchery stock, will never possess a rose comb. The same goes for a Dominique - even hatchery line Doms will never, ever show a single comb. If the bird is a Barred bird from a hatchery with a rose comb, it is and will always be a Dominique.

Dom vs Barred Rock

Photos of exhibition BRs from the Plymouth Rock Fancier's of America photo gallery, showing correct combs

I Googled and compared and youre totally right. This whole time I thought I had a Rhode Island Red and Sex Links! How cool to know!

Back
Top Bottom