Roos or hens

Maybe not identical...but Ill show you what I am talking about.
Your chicken on the left in the second picture... You notice how her "comb" is kinda wide and although it sticks up a little, ita flat and not pointed? That is exactly how my hens (in pic) "comb" is. Wide, not totally flat, but not pointy.
But then your other chicken....his comb sticks up and is pointy. Its very narrow and not at all wide. Therefore, you have a hen on the left and a roo on the right. :)
Shouldn't be long before he crows. Mine was about that size when he started TRYING (it was hilarious) to crow.
There ya go :)

Maybe not identical...but Ill show you what I am talking about.
Your chicken on the left in the second picture... You notice how her "comb" is kinda wide and although it sticks up a little, ita flat and not pointed? That is exactly how my hens (in pic) "comb" is. Wide, not totally flat, but not pointy.
But then your other chicken....his comb sticks up and is pointy. Its very narrow and not at all wide. Therefore, you have a hen on the left and a roo on the right. :)
Shouldn't be long before he crows. Mine was about that size when he started TRYING (it was hilarious) to crow.
There ya go :)

This is not correct. The differences between combs you are describing are genetic differences and are based on ancestry and breed, not gender. Certain breeds will develop single combs, others rose, others walnut, and sometimes pea or V combs and even Buttercup.

Wyandottes are a rose comb breed and both cocks and hens will show flat combs. Sussex are a single comb breed and both cocks and hens will show single combs. Males will always be larger but not differently shaped.

Examples (photos not mine):

Wyandotte cock, rose comb

Wyandotte hen, rose comb

? Cock, single comb

Barred Rock hen, single comb

Comb type charts

Im speaking from experience. Your example chart of a barred rock hen is incorrect, from *my experience. Although her (my hen) markings are the same as the charts- her comb is nowhere near the same.

Last edited:
I admitt I could be wrong. I have also learned that when buying chickens, especially from feed stores, they are rarely what I am told they are suppose to be or they are so cross-bred it is hard to pin point sex until someone crows. So again...all I can do is answer the original question from my chick raising experience and tell you that my opinion is one roo and one hen, still.

Last edited:
Im speaking from experience. Your example chart of a barred rock hen is incorrect, from *my experience. Although her (my hen) markings are the same as the charts- her comb is nowhere near the same.

While the comb in the photo is not the ideal, SOP comb for a Plymouth Rock, it is a single comb - which is correct for the breed. A Barred Rock with any comb besides a single would be DQd from even the most lax of show rings, and simply could not be classed as a Barred Rock.

Is your experience based on the photo you provided in your post which I quoted earlier? That bird is not a Barred Rock. The bird in that photo is a Dominique, which is a breed that does possess a rose comb. A Barred Rock, even from hatchery stock, will never possess a rose comb. The same goes for a Dominique - even hatchery line Doms will never, ever show a single comb. If the bird is a Barred bird from a hatchery with a rose comb, it is and will always be a Dominique.

Dom vs Barred Rock

Photos of exhibition BRs from the Plymouth Rock Fancier's of America photo gallery, showing correct combs

I Googled and compared and youre totally right. This whole time I thought I had a Rhode Island Red and Sex Links! How cool to know!

Back
Top Bottom