TheRockLady

Hatching
Feb 26, 2020
I raised chickens with a guard goose some 10-12 years ago & I’m planning to start raising chickens again in a year or so. Since I will again utilize a guard goose, I do not need a protective rooster, so I can hopefully get a friendly dual purpose breed.
For my 6-8
hens I plan to have: Rhode Island Red, Buff Brahma, & Buff Orpington (hoping you get a brood hen or two).

I was quite pleased with how friendly my Buff Brahma rooster was previously. However, my husband loves the South Carolina Gamecocks football team (mascot is a beautiful gamecock rooster) & he would love a bird that has beautiful colors like the gamecocks. We of course need a friendlier breed, so please give breeds & pics of your suggestions. Thanks!

My husband would love to take it tailgating & show it off to the guys, but I told him that would be way to much to expect & that would stress the bird out.

So just not human aggressive.

With an actual gamefowl/ jungle fowl rooster won’t my next generation of birds be flighty & more aggressive? Also, if I ever try to grow my flock, I don’t believe will be able to have a 2nd rooster ever.

What roosters are avaliable to you?
are you buying a chick or adult bird?
I highly recomend that you keep a hands off approach with your rooster.
I believe the more you handle and cuddle them the less fear they have of you.
The only time i handle my rooster is after dark when i need to trim spurs or check for bugs, othewise he keeps a very respectful distance from me and my family including strangers who come here.
There are quite a few roosters with the coloring your husband desires and honestly most all roosters are kind of spectacular looking when they mature.
Check out some online sources of breeds and see what apeals to you. The individual temperment and personality of the rooster you end up with will remain to be seen.
My current rooster i found on craigs list. He is an americana who was being beat up daily by his sibblings. He is a well behaved guy who treats my hens very nicely.
Good luck in your search.

I will be buying chicks & raising them. I have previously worked with the hens & a Brahma rooster to be quite friendly, & has culled some mean roosters from other breeds- so I’m trying to avoid the aggressive breeds, but get the beauty.
A friend suggested maybe, black copper maran?

My cuckoo Lavender Orpington was great to have. Human friendly great with my kids, the reason he went to the freezer was due to his size which was havoc for the hens backs
. 581590CA-2509-43B7-8219-3999241DF5AA.jpeg

Gamefowl is my suggestion. Hybrid offspring will not be more flighty than what you already have. I use games as display birds and they handily better than any other breed for being used for showing off. Many of mine a very tame and come when called and will fly up on truck if directed to do so. I can take a rooster, drop him on ground in a crowded parking lot where he will mill about as if no humans present. Then I can call him back where he will fly into hand where he will allow strangers to touch him. Hens can be trained to do same.

Gamefowl does not equal jungle fowl.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom