Rooster broken leg, swelling orange, Splint was applied a day after

justakid96

In the Brooder
May 22, 2023
Hi, so I tried to make a splint out of a Tshirt, tape, and popsicle stick.

but I am unsure if I did a good job. I took the best picture i could

I am worried i might have made it too tight, the swelling did not seem to go down... I think his foot looks a

i am also concerned when this rooster stands up to crow. Throughout the day he was pretty quiet, now he is making noise since its the evening

Please let me know if I did something wrong, I did not clean the wound with antibiotics but i did wipe it with a cloth..

Attachments

• rooster_splint2.jpg
    rooster_splint2.jpg
    643.4 KB · Views: 140
  • rooster_splint.jpg
    rooster_splint.jpg
    704.3 KB · Views: 43
I’m sorry about your boy. It was a brilliant idea to make a splint like that. I cant believe I have never thought of that before. I suggest you take him to a vet. It may need to be amputated at worst. Good luck and prayers.

I have some bad news for you.
Because of birds having hollow bones, a broken bone can very esaly give an infection that will slowly spread through the whole leg. And after the leg the ifenctions spreads to other parts of the body. If you really want to keep him, find a way to "safely" amputate his leg.
Otherwise, you should euthanise him because he is in a lot of pain and it will be better for him.
I give you my apoligies for this rough comment, and best of wishes for you and the rooster.

I have some bad news for you.
Because of birds having hollow bones, a broken bone can very esaly give an infection that will slowly spread through the whole leg. And after the leg the ifenctions spreads to other parts of the body. If you really want to keep him, find a way to "safely" amputate his leg.
Otherwise, you should euthanise him because he is in a lot of pain and it will be better for him.
I give you my apoligies for this rough comment, and best of wishes for you and the rooster.
Yeah... i didnt wash the wound... i wish i had the common sense... my parents are so hands off on these types of things......

Thank you

Can you get some help, and try to remove the splint in case it is too tight? The foot does look swollen and discolored which means his circulation may be cut off. If you have help and can split the the splint bandage up one side, it might be reapplied more loosely. Dab some Betadine or chlorhexidene on the wound. Antibiotics are usually needed with a compound fracture. I would recommend a chicken sling chair with his feet off the ground to help him heal. Food and water containers can be placed in front of him in the sling chair, and you can also remove him to lie down for periods of rest. A vet is always your best bet, but with weekends and few vets that will see chickens, it is not always available. Then it is also expensive. Good luck to you.

Okay I will remove the wrap, i think I made it a bit too tight....

I also will apply what we have: a human neosporin. (triple antibiotic)
Thank you i will see if I can get betadine tomorrow somewhere. Its been about 24 hours since i applied the splint

Maybe use isopropyl alchohol to clean the wound?

Okay I will remove the wrap, i think I made it a bit too tight....

I also will apply what we have: a human neosporin. (triple antibiotic)
Thank you i will see if I can get betadine tomorrow somewhere. Its been about 24 hours since i applied the splint

Maybe use isopropyl alchohol to clean the wound?
Does the rooster have an open wound? If not you can use oxygenated water if you have some. (If you use it in an open wound it will burn the the open wound, a lot)

It burns pretty bad, so if you use it, be prepared that he will fight. Betadine is found at Walmart in the first aid aisle and called Equate First Aid Antiseptic. Saline can also be used. That is salt 2 tsp added to a quart of water and boiled. Cool it before use. Let us know how he gets along.

Back
Top Bottom