Rooster broken leg, swelling orange, Splint was applied a day after

Okay, i will keep you all updated, yeah it was too tight i think... i will take a picture tomorrow morning

I was worried it was too tight but i was also worried that the popsicle stick will fall out... I will splint tomorrow morning

Thank you,

Okay, i will keep you all updated, yeah it was too tight i think... i will take a picture tomorrow morning

I was worried it was too tight but i was also worried that the popsicle stick will fall out... I will splint tomorrow morning

Thank you,
Don't wrap it back up.

Get clear pictures of his leg while he is standing on it.

Wrapping it made it worse and will likely continue to make it worse.

How did it get broken?

So from unwrapping it didnt look bad ....
when i put a bandaid with triple antibiotic the rooster didnt show much sign of pain

kind of a surprise given i didnt use anything to clean it yesterday evening (now 8pm)

So uh broken because i messed up and hit the rooster because he was chasing our silkies...
i understand now that i messed up big time... i just couldnt handle him grabbing them by the wing

Thank you all for the concern, i put 2 small human bandaids that more than cover up the spot, and made sure not to make them tight

I had a hen that got tangled up in emu feet. Snapped a leg. She was splinted up and put in a small duck house so she could recover. Splint was too tight and her foot turned green by the second day. Loosened the splint and waited.

Surprisingly, she made a full recovery and only lost one toe on that foot from the loss of circulation. Two years later and is my best broody. I wouldn’t give up.

when i put a bandaid with triple antibiotic the rooster didnt show much sign of pain
Please post photos when you unwrap the leg.

It may not be broken, just severely bruised.

I understand you may not have a lot of supplies on hand, that's o.k. we can help you work with what you have.

Good suggestion to take pictures of the leg, and get someone else to help you get pictures. Splinting can actually cause more damage if too tight or not enough padding, or done incorrectly.

kind of a surprise given i didnt use anything to clean it yesterday evening (now 8pm)

So uh broken because i messed up and hit the rooster because he was chasing our silkies...
i understand now that i messed up big time... i just couldnt handle him grabbing them by the wing

Thank you all for the concern, i put 2 small human bandaids that more than cover up the spot, and made sure not to make them tight
What did you hit him with? Did you hear a crack when you him him?

I f the bone is broken and it was left for a day and he's been trying to use the leg then it's likely that damage has been done to the tendons and possibly the ends of the facture.
Broken legs on chickens are notoriously difficult to repair especially if they are not dealt with immediately.

Ok, i took a picture today, looks the same as yesterday

Attachments

• fracture1.jpg
    fracture1.jpg
    541.9 KB · Views: 25
  • fracture2[1].jpg
    fracture2[1].jpg
    381.9 KB · Views: 25

Back
Top Bottom