Rooster broken leg, swelling orange, Splint was applied a day after

so now that its been a few days I do not need to worry about infection?

also hope i can do it tonight... sigh parents are mad at me and are busy working on something else outside....

Last edited:
Unfortunately antibiotics that treat bone infection (clindamycin) are very hard to find nowadays without a vet prescription. Bactrim (SMZ-TMP) or cephalexin might work, but I doubt if it would help much at this late time. Once you splint the leg it should keep it clean. Betadine is good to use initially, but the wound may be sealed up now. Hopefully, he will do okay with the splint. I am not an expert on broken legs, but just trying to help.

So not much... previously i used old tshirt cutting and popsicle stick

so now that its been a few days I do not need to worry about infection?
Watch the video that @Eggcessive posted. It's simple and straightforward.
Can you ask your Mom/Dad if they can help you with your rooster and perhaps help with getting some sports wrap and gauze so you can splint his leg properly?

As in the video, he will need to be limited to activity in order to heal. If you can crate him or at least keep him housed in a small area that would be good.

It was somewhat unsaid in the video, but the bandage/wrapping and wound on that hen's leg was checked regularly to make sure she was healing well. If you note, at some point within the 2weeks update they had applied a wound spray to the hen's leg.
Also note...even after 2weeks, the leg had improved, but it was NOT healed, so it would still need to be wrapped and tended to for weeks to come. You can't just set and forget.

When I had a hen that had a fractured leg it took 6-8wks before I felt she could go without wrapping and splinting.

Infection is always possible when the skin has been broken.

Let us know how he gets along. You'll have to check/change the dressing daily for at least 7-10days, just because the skin is broken and so you can monitor for infection, heat and to make sure it's healing. Once you are very confident it's healing, then you can check every other day.
This will take a good while to heal (probably 2 months), monitor that he's eating/drinking well too.

Last edited:
Let us know how he gets along. You'll have to check/change the dressing daily for at least 7-10days, just because the skin is broken and so you can monitor for infection, heat and to make sure it's healing. Once you are very confident it's healing, then you can check every other day.
This will take a good while to heal (probably 2 months), monitor that he's eating/drinking well too.
hello i used sportswrap last night.... thank you

Back
Top Bottom