Rooster Chat

I just now saw this... I don't raise any to eat so I can't answer that, but as for breeding, If I do breed I just try and pick out the biggest roo with the most social personality. I have a flock full of a few generations, a lot of mine are mixed, but I do have a few pure bred chickens, but I also don't mind having the mixed birds as some of the cutest birds are ones that were mixed. For instance right now I have a polish rooster that is too cute - his dad was a grey and white polish and the mom was probably a rhode island red so he's still a polish but he has some white, some grey, and some different shades of red.

I don't really breed necessarily for aesthetics, I just breed to keep my flock going, but I do try and breed from the kindest most social roos / hens. Some people like to breed to keep the flock pure, some breed for the money, I am the type that I don't need the money, I don't mind having mixed birds, I don't care about the looks, I just like knowing that I will always have little feathery friends here.
he sounds pretty do you have a pic? :)

Here he is. :)
His father is a grey polish rooster with white hair and I'm assuming the mom was possibly a RIR.

Sorry you can't see much, his spikey feathered hair lays flatter like only a tad stands up, whereas his dads feathery hair is all over the place lol.

Last edited:
you can't say that it's a cockeral, you can give your doubts thats fine but you can't state it like its not possible, it is scientifically possible and happened to China i have pics of her when she was little, a bird can't stop itself from growing spurs, waddle, crest and tail feathers, it may not crow but it definatly doesn't act and look like a hen for 8 months and be a roo the whole time.
Your Orpington always was and is a cockerel. @TheTwoRoos and @oldhenlikesdogs mentioned it before I did.

How many roosters do you have Iluvemyflock?

Gosh I don't know lol, too many to count probably. I have age ranges from chicks, to teens, to young adults / adults. I just take what nature gives me hen or roo I accept it with a smile, because I have incubated many eggs and lost many and I feel blessed when they survive if that makes sense. I would roughly guess up to 20 or so? I had more but sadly things like possums and chicken hawks tore through some of them. I am hoping for more, I know that sounds odd as many don't want the roos, anyway I check on my local craigslist looking for roos that need a new home and I take them in. As for hens I have maybe 30+? I have some babies now I am hoping to sex soon, so that will be neat to see what sex they are. My roos live relatively happy together, I introduce new ones to the area when they are in their teens +.

@meetthebubus - Let me say this; I had a cat I named "Moon" because he was all black but he had a patch on his head that reminded me of a moon, anyway I thought Moon was a girl, well a year passed I believe? anyway Moon had dropped his balls, I thought he had a tumor, I was in my teens so ya know.. anyway I screamed mom OMG Moon has a tumor!!! she said no honey Moon is not a she, Moon is a he. Long story short things like that happen, just like humans can be born with both sexes, I feel that animals can be too, and I believe that like humans can be asexual where they do not feel attracted to any sex, so can animals. I don't know If you saw my other post but I too had an orpington a lavender one and I swear I thought he was a she, he never ever acted truly manly even after I realized it was a he! I even thought he was a hermaphrodite which I absolutely do believe it's possible, because again if it can be seen in humans than why can't it be seen in animals too? I have even seen some animals species do things with the same sex, yet others have said it's impossible. Either way science says a lot of things but that don't mean science is right, for instance some scientists claim ball lightning don't exist, other's say it may or may not exist, and others swear by it, either way I know it exists! I saw it! That's a whole other subject I know, but what I mean is, you know what you saw, and you don't have to explain yourself, because trust me no matter how hard you try some people just don't get it and they will just nit pick and nit pick at everything you say and then if you try and explain yourself they will turn everything around to try and make you look like you don't know what you're talking about. I know what you're talking about because I have seen these sort of things. Think about it, if humans can be confused or whatever with what sex they are not just mentally but they physically have both sexes or are a late bloomer whatever - than why can't animals?

So it's quite possible that your China maybe never was a male perse maybe China bloomed later on?, maybe China is confused unbeknownst to China?, or maybe China is quite possibly a hermaphrodite? whether it's physical or mental we may never know but that don't mean it's not possible. So if you choose to believe China is a she more power to ya, China is your bird, so you can call china whatever you like!

Last edited:
thanks @iluvmyflock

again i understand everyones right to disbelief, i'm just saying what i witnessed. she never grew male reproductive but she changed her appearance and actions into a roo here are some links of others that have experienced it
http://www.livescience.com/13514-sex-change-chicken-gertie-hen-bertie-cockerel.html
and in this video link they talk about the fact that this can happen to chickens as well

just think a hen when they turn into a rooster they really look like a rooster while still having their ovaries, just one never worked or stopped working so they are getting only testerone. now, kind of like when a woman has too much testerstone they can grow facial hair a poor example but ya get what i'm getting at it happens.

i'm working on the pics and videos i have of them, i had 3 girls 3 boys, you can tell by the 3 long poofy tails when they were little and the 3 short stubby tails, also the crest, etc.

so i had 3 crowing roosters and 3 hens, lost one to a windstorm/predator lost one to sickness before she could lay and then there was china left, she actually started turning and crowing before her brothers were culled so she wasn't hiding anything

i really don't think a rooster can stop themselves from growing and besides biggest clue of all, her feathers changed, from hen to roo it happens. :)

again i appreciate everyone responding to this, even if you disagree i appreciate your input

Last edited:
what the other user was saying was it is impossible for a hen to become entirely a rooster.Her looks may turn rooster,and so may her attitude,but she still would be considered a hen,she has no male productive parts.

Back
Top Bottom