Rooster Chat

@meetthebubus - Let me say this; I had a cat I named "Moon" because he was all black but he had a patch on his head that reminded me of a moon, anyway I thought Moon was a girl, well a year passed I believe? anyway Moon had dropped his balls, I thought he had a tumor, I was in my teens so ya know.. anyway I screamed mom OMG Moon has a tumor!!! she said no honey Moon is not a she, Moon is a he. Long story short things like that happen, just like humans can be born with both sexes, I feel that animals can be too, and I believe that like humans can be asexual where they do not feel attracted to any sex, so can animals. I don't know If you saw my other post but I too had an orpington a lavender one and I swear I thought he was a she, he never ever acted truly manly even after I realized it was a he! I even thought he was a hermaphrodite which I absolutely do believe it's possible, because again if it can be seen in humans than why can't it be seen in animals too? I have even seen some animals species do things with the same sex, yet others have said it's impossible. Either way science says a lot of things but that don't mean science is right, for instance some scientists claim ball lightning don't exist, other's say it may or may not exist, and others swear by it, either way I know it exists! I saw it! That's a whole other subject I know, but what I mean is, you know what you saw, and you don't have to explain yourself, because trust me no matter how hard you try some people just don't get it and they will just nit pick and nit pick at everything you say and then if you try and explain yourself they will turn everything around to try and make you look like you don't know what you're talking about. I know what you're talking about because I have seen these sort of things. Think about it, if humans can be confused or whatever with what sex they are not just mentally but they physically have both sexes or are a late bloomer whatever - than why can't animals?

So it's quite possible that your China maybe never was a male perse maybe China bloomed later on?, maybe China is confused unbeknownst to China?, or maybe China is quite possibly a hermaphrodite? whether it's physical or mental we may never know but that don't mean it's not possible. So if you choose to believe China is a she more power to ya, China is your bird, so you can call china whatever you like!

Last edited:
what the other user was saying was it is impossible for a hen to become entirely a rooster.Her looks may turn rooster,and so may her attitude,but she still would be considered a hen,she has no male productive parts.

View attachment 1113777 View attachment 1113777
Your set up sounds wonderful!! I did not plan on loving my roosters either!! Our yard is sloping, and very wooded so multiple large runs isn't as much of an option. I have read that some people alternate the free range days. Boys one day, and girls another... I'm thinking this might work for us as long as I get their set up right for days they are closed in. The crowing doesn't bother me so much, the faverolles aren't too loud. They actually crow back and forth with the neighbors roosters! I love hearing them in the morning around town. I'm thinking on large covered run off of our current one, with a rooster coop attached. Do your rooster coops need anything other than the roosts? the obviously don't need nest boxes. I know I have 2 more chicks that are for sure faverolle roos, but the others are crosses, and I have no idea yet! Any tips on telling the sex sooner rather than later? Everyone has transitioned into the flock with ease so far, but I understand that they would need to be part of the rooster flock before they start crowing. Do you pair them by twos based on who gets along best?
yes i go by who gets along best for picking pairs, it was good that i had even numbers HA , but finding the roos sooner then later , some times they are the ones in front of every one when it comes to new things in there environment , mine were very funny i put very color ful posters in their brooders for a fun toy and the 2 roos i knew who they were because i had ordered them, both were first to run up to it to check out the new toy , in this same group of chicks of one SLW &all the rest CW we had one chick that was not well with pasty butt, and i was amazed to see the 2 males who were actively trying to care for her , they slept on either side of her like to give her more warmth, they were very attentive towards her, and it seemed they were caring for that chick, using sheer instinct in such young chicks..! all under a week old , but i healed my sick little chick in short order so my CW chick was fine & i still have her today such a beautiful Colombian wyandott hen,and so to her hatch mate roos , fred mertz a CW & Silvester a SLW, both happy boys , but also one thing i did notice in roo chicks is in some breeds the boys have a lot of missing feathers directly on the back, just below the neck area , it looks like they are partly bald in that area ,but this more apparent in white birds , then also look for the waddles , they are usually more developed, but with all theses clues like the chick that is always the first to investigate all new things in their environment , plus usually the young roos will perch on the highest places , on the tallest object they can like their water bottle..Ha yeah not fun when they tip it over a lot. so thats when i change to the nipple drinkers HA ,so with theses clues , if you have more then 1or 2 clues, i would say that's your roo chic, so in my pic the 2 big chicks are the 2 males &the smaller one at the end is a girl CW i believe was the same chick the 2 boys tried to care for.:thumbsup

Last edited:
I gave away the last roo in mid march, after that the combs lost color. Then the new cockerel started crowing late July, that's when they all turned bright red again --- so it's not the seasons' effect.
It could have been from the stress of losing the roosters than.

Yes, do separate them, but if you possibly can take out the bully (bullies) rather than the victim, unless the victim is bleeding and being pecked by all or truely weak by now. That’s for immediate relief and to save the bullied roo. I would bring out the special treats (raisins, mealworms, sunflower seeds) and make sure he gets a good helping each day untill he is strong again. There is an outside chance that this rooster is sick anyway and that is why he is being bullied, but I don’t think that‘s the issue.
I am not at all surprised it is the Wyandotte x cochin that are the bullies. Wyandottes have a tendency to be bullies and the cochin part adds heft - are they also your biggest roosters?
So longer term: you said you divided the coop - how much space do they have? Do you have multiple feeding and watering stations that are out of sight of each other?
I bought buckets so that I could make more feeders, and currently there are two stations around the corner from each other.... We had planned a larger run that could be divided easily, but the ground froze, and winter moved in before we could complete the run. I added an addition onto the hens 8x8 coop so I could have the rooster flock. It is an 8x10 coop, and the run is as large as I could make with garden fencing, but they want nothing to do with the snow. The covered/tarp area is open to the outdoors, but blocking wind/weather. The covered/sheltered area is tarps on the run frame. but they have access to a garden fence outdoor area. It has been a colder winter then I can remember with sub zero weather lasting over a week. They didn't leave the coop. I am thinking I will put my little boy in a crate just to give him a break, and see if I can separate the wyndotte crosses from the faverolles. If I can make peace until spring I can give them a more permanent divided run. They currently all roost together at night too, but can move the roosts around. They wyndotte x cochins are deff. bigger than my faverolles. The only one bigger is the straight cochin (their father). I feel bad because the cochin, and the two original faverolles were a happy little flock that inspired keeping these other boys. The wyndottes are punks. I do not believe in just killing for convenience, and think I can figure out how to divide them up... the winter is half over. Everyone was tested for worms in the fall so I know that is negative. I noticed Mites most recently while doing butt checks, and was gonna run to tsc today or tomorrow to treat the birds, and coop. I don't think this is the primary issue though since we live in the woods, and I'm diligent about treating/catching mites when they rear their ugly little heads! I normally wouldn't have even added the straw to the run because i'm paranoid about mites, but thought the boredom/winter was gonna get someone injured.

Thank you!! These are my three original boys, and the two faverolle roos who are currently getting picked on :( I think i messed up their flock when I let the punk wyndottes into their happy little flock. If I can get them safe until spring I can figure out smaller boy groups which seemed to work better. Maybe ABE + Faverolles, and the wyndotte x cochins together? I know figuring out rooster dynamics seems crazy to some people but they are living beings in my care, and it seems like the least I can do when there are so many roosters out there who arn't even given a chance! They are Awesome birds!
:goodpost:
yes exactly THEY ARE living beings in our care & i believe you will find a way , you will be able to read them & help to remedy the situation, because its a good thing..! just see how you can set up each group or pair that wont battle & will get along better, but 3 roos is not a good deal i found that out when i put the Delaware roo in with the RIR & the NHR roos i put them into the giant pen on the same day together they were all the same age but wile i was in with them , the 2 RED roos chased the DEL roo around so not to let that continue into some thing much worse, the Delaware roo went in with the with the BR roo both tough guys & raised together , so i was hoping they were equals and would not really battle & it was good for a few months then they got into it & that was the end , they both are in separate pens now , the BR was relentless and had the DEL roo cornered & down , so that was it..!!! & i jumped into it and got the DEL roo out to safety..!some times we just have to figure out a better way for every one so the task at hand is just to TRY until you WIN for the good ...!!! always for the good of all concerned..!! & get the ones together that get along the best , thats what i tried to do & did, and i told them ok boys no fighting or ill be back...lol..:D :lau:lol: & i think they do understand on a few levels..! but at least we tried..!!! so since those early days before they all were a year old my boys are fine bright & shiny & happy little guys , no fights and they are happy being together and good friends thank goodness for that.. :fl!!:woot:thumbsup :clap:highfive::yesss:

he is even more handsome now at almost 5 years old
101_0076 Blue  the roo.jpg

Back
Top Bottom