Rooster Chat

Pics
I would get rid of your older rooster before your young ones pick up on his behavior towards people. I spend time looking at my young birds, talking to them, and picking them up to move them. All run from me but not far, and come towards me when I'm bringing treats.

They should all move out of you way when you walk. I'm not mean to my young roosters and I'm not afraid of them. As they reach sexual maturity and start making my pullets scream they may be chased off as I defend the pullet or they may get a plastic can tossed in their direction, otherwise I don't interfere too much. They grow up knowing I'm dominant but not necessarily a part of the flock. I have only had one aggressive rooster and he was handled and petted.

Hopefully your boys grow up respectful. You will need to not be afraid. I would actually get angry and chase down any rooster foolish enough to try an attack, but haven't had any since I stopped petting them.

I have a nice fishing net that I use to catch chickens, they all know it and fear it even if I never caught them. I find it can work well to correct young roosters to chase corner and net them temporarily, it's similar to what a dominant rooster will do to young ones. I certainly don't do it often and not for every rooster. It is a good way to mentally dominate without hurting them.

My older roosters come greet me in the morning to see if I have treats and will often follow me around while I do the feeding, but they will move out of the way if I walk in their direction. It can be quite easy to raise a respectful rooster but the keeper has to be confident and unafraid. I'm really rooting for you to get yourself a nice rooster or two. I have 3 large breed adults and about 7 young ones, as well as 11 adult bantam roosters and 3 young ones. All are nice boys.

Just wanted to let you know that we did dispatch the rooster in question last night. I was worried about the possible effects on the hens. This morning the whole farm feels calm and peaceful. I was able to go outside and sit on the grass in the shade and the 8-week-olds came and sat on my lap (formerly I would be scared the whole time the rooster would attack me). The older hens are laying around relaxing in places they never relax in, just snuggled down relaxed. The rooster used to run them around all day. My two pet potbelly pigs, whom the rooster had been attacking, approve of the change as evidenced by happy relaxed vocalizations.

So now the young cockerels will grow up and make some kind of peace among themselves and we'll be in a new phase here.

Thank you for the support. It was emotionally hard but emotionally rewarding that we did do it.

Just wanted to let you know that we did dispatch the rooster in question last night. I was worried about the possible effects on the hens.  This morning the whole farm feels calm and peaceful.  I was able to go outside and sit on the grass in the shade and the 8-week-olds came and sat on my lap (formerly I would be scared the whole time the rooster would attack me). The older hens are laying around relaxing in places they never relax in, just snuggled down relaxed. The rooster used to run them around all day. My two pet potbelly pigs, whom the rooster had been attacking, approve of the change as evidenced by happy relaxed vocalizations.  

So now the young cockerels will grow up and make some kind of peace among themselves and we'll be in a new phase here.

Thank you for the support.  It was emotionally hard but emotionally rewarding that we did do it.
I am glad it is done. No one should live in fear because of a rooster, he had his chance. Thank you for the visual of everyone so much happier. Don't feel too bad, you did give him a chance. Let's hope you find a good one amongst the younger batch.

I am glad it is done. No one should live in fear because of a rooster, he had his chance. Thank you for the visual of everyone so much happier. Don't feel too bad, you did give him a chance. Let's hope you find a good one amongst the younger batch.
Agreed. I raise chickens for the enjoyment of it (well, and eggs and meat) and if a chicken takes that away, the chicken needs to go. Sounds like that rooster was a liability to have around. Victoria-nola, you made a wise choice.

I can empathize with you Victoria-nola. It is tough dealing with roosters. I love my boys but they can be a hand full. Nothing better than a nice rooster and nothing worse than a mean one.

At the moment I have 5 roosters banished to the run after I set back and watched behaviors, not just from them but from the whole flock and what I saw was sending a chill down my spine. My two 16 month old Welsummer roosters are fine alone but when they are together the younger roosters are being abused. When they aren't busy trying to stay out of the Welsummer rooster's way, the three Welsummer/Buff O cockerels (4+months old) are terrorizing the hens. Not being abusive in the sense of being abusive, but really pestering the hens to the point that they are hiding out on the top roost. I know it's those hormones working on them but the hens are getting worn ragged and bullied and they do not deserve that treatment.

Three slower maturing Buff O cockerels the same age and the Welly/BO crosses are being abused by all the roosters, including their own flock mates.

My solution? I vanquished the 5 musketeers to the run and gave the rest of the flock the run of the coop. Slowly though out the day, everyone has relaxed. The young BO cockerels and one little pullet are not cowering in a corner and are much happier now that they can make it to the food without getting beat up. The hens are happy with the one rooster I allowed in with them, my LO rooster, Larry who was also getting beat up by the Welly boys.

I hadn't intended on the roosters staying with the main flock this long. Weather and life has slowed the completion of the bachelor pad but I'll looking at wrapping things up tomorrow with that.

Tonight the 5 musketeers are going to the bachelor coop whether they like the idea or not.

My flock has undergone a major shake up with the Alpha rooster's death this weekend. The hens need a chance to get used to him not being around. Red was a great rooster. I'm hoping maybe Larry will step up to fill his rather big shoes.

I can empathize with you Victoria-nola. It is tough dealing with roosters. I love my boys but they can be a hand full. Nothing better than a nice rooster and nothing worse than a mean one.

At the moment I have 5 roosters banished to the run after I set back and watched behaviors, not just from them but from the whole flock and what I saw was sending a chill down my spine. My two 16 month old Welsummer roosters are fine alone but when they are together the younger roosters are being abused. When they aren't busy trying to stay out of the Welsummer rooster's way, the three Welsummer/Buff O cockerels (4+months old) are terrorizing the hens. Not being abusive in the sense of being abusive, but really pestering the hens to the point that they are hiding out on the top roost. I know it's those hormones working on them but the hens are getting worn ragged and bullied and they do not deserve that treatment.

Three slower maturing Buff O cockerels the same age and the Welly/BO crosses are being abused by all the roosters, including their own flock mates.

My solution? I vanquished the 5 musketeers to the run and gave the rest of the flock the run of the coop. Slowly though out the day, everyone has relaxed. The young BO cockerels and one little pullet are not cowering in a corner and are much happier now that they can make it to the food without getting beat up. The hens are happy with the one rooster I allowed in with them, my LO rooster, Larry who was also getting beat up by the Welly boys.

I hadn't intended on the roosters staying with the main flock this long. Weather and life has slowed the completion of the bachelor pad but I'll looking at wrapping things up tomorrow with that.

Tonight the 5 musketeers are going to the bachelor coop whether they like the idea or not.

My flock has undergone a major shake up with the Alpha rooster's death this weekend. The hens need a chance to get used to him not being around. Red was a great rooster. I'm hoping maybe Larry will step up to fill his rather big shoes.
Thank you. Oh wow, yes, I'm sorry for your loss. If I had a great rooster I would be very sad to see him pass. I wish your flock good healing.
--V

A few weeks ago, in another location, I wrote about wondering if my young cockerel was going to eventually get into "crowing contests" with the neighbor's rooster. I was not expecting that the multiple birds crowing would be in my own chicken run. I really need to do something about the extras before someone gets hurt....

In the last day or two one of my 16 week cockerels has discovered the gender differences and such. He's been trying to mate with my one mature hen. He's a production red variety and she is Cornish X I think - a Tyson chicken anyway - so it makes for a rather comical sight. She just sits down and refuses to give him access. I don't know if he's successful or not.

Just thought I'd share.

Lisa

Yet another 16 week old cockerel has started showing the sexual aspects of being a chicken. He was going through the same motions as the young one mentioned in post #607. But instead of the mature hen he chose a bantam pullet. That plus the color of her comb and wattles means she is getting ready to lay eggs I'm guessing. Anyway, I seriously doubt there was any contact between the two. The tips of her tail feathers were only about halfway down the cockerel's chest.

The pullet is fast and feisty so I doubt she will let herself be caught like that again. Being picked up by the neck feathers can't have been any fun.

I may have to aquire another coop and run for my bantams....

Yet another 16 week old cockerel has started showing the sexual aspects of being a chicken.  He was going through the same motions as the young one mentioned in post #607.  But instead of the mature hen he chose a bantam pullet.  That plus the color of her comb and wattles means she is getting ready to lay eggs I'm guessing.  Anyway, I seriously doubt there was any contact between the two.  The tips of her tail feathers were only about halfway down the cockerel's chest.

The pullet is fast and feisty so I doubt she will let herself be caught like that again.  Being picked up by the neck feathers can't have been any fun.

I may have to aquire another coop and run for my bantams....

Oof! Poor girl! I'm watching my baby boy Phoenix chase around a faverolle pullet only to have her spin to face him and peck him on the head! Over and over and over and over and...

I might be looking at making a Phoenix coop for this little guy. LOL. the ladies are going to beat the snot outta him!

Back
Top Bottom