Rooster Chat

Pics
Currently have two roos. One standard and one banty Easter Egger, Fester and Lurch. Have yet to determine if ant of the Cochins are male. Crossin my fingers for at least one.Fester and Lurch have lived together since hatching and have split my 18 hens between them.

How many roosters does everyone have?

I have two main roosters,(and others that are not keepers) a Red-Shouldered Yokohama and a White Leghorn.
I started out with six cockrels...and eliminated any that shoved excessive aggression towards me, I ended up with 1 nice big tame White Rock rooster and 3 bantam Roos...they seem to get along well...only one little roo tries to give me grief...he doesn't know he's walking a thin line...but the Big roo seems to get between the aggressive one and me when the "Cobra" decides to try to take me on..otherwise things have been pretty calm in the flock...the Roos I eliminated were a Dominic and a Barred Rock...didn't need any 10 pound boosters attacking me.

Hey all! Jumping right in, I will read back in the mean time.

I have a rooster. He is good. All around good. I want to keep this guy with the main free range flock.

I WANT another roo to breed for my little plan...

I don't want to have a crow fest in the wee hours....I don't want fighting.

I want to have new roos hens in a pen and keep him in the garage to sleep and plop him in the girls pen 9-5.

Is this doable?

Could also keep both boys in their separate coops/pen or range with their girls then let them out at 9. Wanting to be sensitive to neighbors at a can't hear crowing through closed window distance)

Thoughts, ideas, experiences welcome!

Last edited:
Hi there I have almost always had two or more roosters together at one time at it really does depend on the individual rooster.
My last two roosters got on perfectly fine. They shared one big pen but had their own loyal hens and food bowls. Recently Ive got two different roosters and they do not get on at all so they have their own separate pens.
When I first got these two they would crow all day long to compete with each other and I was worried that I'd have to get rid of one. However, one day they managed to get into the same pen and boy did they have a big fight. Afterwards though there was no more unnecessary crowing as they had been able to assert who the top rooster was. So you may even have to let them have it out when you get them.

You aren't going to really be able to plan ahead with this is what I'm trying to say. You may just try and stick with breeds that are known to generally be less aggressive but there aren't any specific breeds that crow less than others.
Also Ive had no success with keeping roosters quiet, they can crow through anything hahah.

Last edited:
If you want the roosters to get along, you'll have a better chance if you raise the new rooster with the current flock. Let the current rooster put him in his place while he's still too young to be considered a real threat.

I have a 13 week cockerel that I'm trying to introduce along with some pullets. I have had the run split for about a week. My rooster struts and fluffs up to the cockerel through the fence. When would it be safe to remove the separation and should I break it up if the rooster jumps the cockerel?

I have a 13 week cockerel that I'm trying to introduce along with some pullets. I have had the run split for about a week. My rooster struts and fluffs up to the cockerel through the fence. When would it be safe to remove the separation and should I break it up if the rooster jumps the cockerel?
I would just get it over with and put them together. Only intercede if a) there is blood, or b) you are pretending to be top cock in the flock and want to give the idea that you are the main rooster. Some advise against this, saying that being a part of the flock can spur rooster aggression, but it has worked for some other people. If you are top cock, you break up fights, make roosters move for you and crow back at other males if they act like they are doing it defiantly at you. Sounds silly, I know. But only break up fights if you act like this towards them, because doing so runs the risk of making integration drag out longer, and the two never getting along.

Back
Top Bottom