Rooster Chat

Pics
I've been seeing one of my cockerels limping. I knew it probably had something to do with the zip tie one of my kids put on his leg. I told my son to get it off but it didn't happen. I caught it on the roost this a.m. and sure enough it was deep in his leg. I tried cutting it off but couldn't so at 7a.m. I am butchering my chicken. I hadn't even got dressed so here I am standing out side with my rooster hanging upside down and I had cut his throat when my son's friends dad brought my son home from a sleep over. I'm running back to my house yelling for someone to go outside and see who it is. I ask my son if they saw me outside in my nightie and he said "Yeah". I was so embarrassed. On a good note, I am getting faster at dispatching my birds. It probably wouldn't have been more than 20 minutes if I hadn't had to stop to run to the house to get dressed. Altogether maybe 30 minutes, Well that's 3 down and 8 more to go.

My supposed blacj sexlink cockersl who is only 3 months old but is looks 5 months whooped one of the 5 month old pullets today.Good thing he can defend him self.

Did you mention to your son "Why" you got caught in the yard wearing your nightie?
He might not be putting zip ties on birds legs, if he got to wear a nice snug on one of his appendages.....just for a while...so he gets an idea of how it felt to the bird, maybe he wouldn't have put it on him in the first place....to bad the bird had to suffer...and you had to do the dirty deed in your jimmies....maybe you should have, had him do the dirty deed....oh well....he was going to go anyway.

Yeah, but it was a different son that did the zip tie. The one that did the tie didn't believe me when I told him what could happen. He was truly sorry for not listening to me. He loves all our birds even the ones we intend to butcher. I probably would have had him do it but he is gone for a few days. When I told him over the phone to was very upset to have caused the bird to suffer. Our dog got off her leash and we haven't seen her for almost a week. He and all of us have had a tough week.

My supposed blacj sexlink cockersl who is only 3 months old but is looks 5 months whooped one of the 5 month old pullets today.Good thing he can defend him self.
My black sex link cockerels (I had 12 at one time) were real brats when they were 3 months old. That's when they started 'feeling their oats', lol. Now I have 8 left and they are almost 23 weeks old and they are so much better. They still have their bratty moments but they are never mean to us but can be rough on the pullets. My girls are pretty good runners though, lol. Eventually they will all be going to freezer camp. I am considering keeping the one that seems to be the boss.

He wanted to enter the best in the county fair so he wanted to be able to tell which one at a glance. He was going to take it off when he entered it but they wouldn't let him because the fair people thought a judge had put it on for some reason (?). Why, they would I don't know and he just never took it off. I had a pullet that he did it to but he got that off before they saw it. If he'd only trimmed off the long end it probably would have been so tight. When he put it on he could still put his finger under it but I imagine it probably got stepped on or the others were pulling it and it just got too tight.

Back
Top Bottom