Rooster Chat

I have another thing..
I have a silkie pullet and she gets TORE UP by 2 of my roosters.
They grab herby the base of the tail and now there are a ton of loose feathers there.
she isn't submissive because they scare the crud out of her.
is there anything I can do except put a saddle on her?

Your boy is acting like what he is.....a rooster. He is more than likely recognizing people that he is going after as strangers and a threat or what he perceives as a threat to his hens. Still, you cannot have him acting out like that to people. Sooner or later he will hurt someone. Maybe even you. You need to take an upper hand now. Do not show fear around him. YOU are the top rooster and have to impress that fact on him. Do not allow him to approach you without you making him back down. Walk towards him as if you intend to walk through him. Make him move out of your way. Personally, I chase my roosters if they start acting too 'cocky' around me. They hate getting picked up more than anything and if push comes to shove, that is exactly what I do with them if they push the limit with me..

Until you can work with him and adjust his attitude., I wouldn't let him out with strangers around. You are only asking for trouble sooner or later.

Your boy is acting like what he is.....a rooster. He is more than likely recognizing people that he is going after as strangers and a threat or what he perceives as a threat to his hens. Still, you cannot have him acting out like that to people. Sooner or later he will hurt someone. Maybe even you. You need to take an upper hand now. Do not show fear around him. YOU are the top rooster and have to impress that fact on him. Do not allow him to approach you without you making him back down. Walk towards him as if you intend to walk through him. Make him move out of your way. Personally, I chase my roosters if they start acting too 'cocky' around me. They hate getting picked up more than anything and if push comes to shove, that is exactly what I do with them if they push the limit with me.. 

Until you can work with him and adjust his attitude., I wouldn't let him out with strangers around. You are only asking for trouble sooner or later.

Good advice, I walk around with my cockerel for 10 minutes or so every day.

I have another thing..
I have a silkie pullet and she gets TORE UP by 2 of my roosters.
They grab herby the base of the tail and now there are a ton of loose feathers there.
she isn't submissive because they scare the crud out of her.
is there anything I can do except put a saddle on her?
They are going after her, because she's lower on the pecking order. I'm going to guess that the Roosters are young? If they are zeroing in on her....they will really hurt her, in their eagerness to mount her...especially if they are grabbing her by the tail feathers...that makes me figure that they aren't really sure what they are doing....and they are in competition with each other...remove one or both of the boys for a week or couple weeks if possible. Because they won't quit this behaviour unless you do something to stop them. They will continue to rough her up....she will end up bloody, and the other birds will go after her. So remove one or both boys and give her a break.

Can roosters sense fear?...
Had a friend over and we were walking around the chickens. I left her for a moment and when I turned around the rooster tried to spurher. Thankfully though his spurs aren't sharp enough to do anything!
He did the same thing to a family member who's scared of the rooster.
I think they can sense "Fear" by body language...and they definitely can recognize males from females, familiar people from strangers...if someone runs from them during one visit...you can be pretty sure that person will be remembered during the next visit! It's amazing what a good memory chickens have!

Thanks for the ideas. I was thinking of a nanny cam but a game cam might be better. Whichever is cheaper.

So tonight he's been crowing in the house non stop since I bought him in. Either he really likes crowing or maybe something is up with HIM? There's a mobile vet that does chickens who his up the feed store every Tuesday. I'll have him checked out by that guy as well.

Tonight was also more windy than usual.

So the first night he was blacked out he was terrified all night! So I snuck a small solar nightlight in there and he slept quietly for a few nights. My fierce rooster is scared of the dark! :D
I have a radio playing 24/7 in the garage just outside the coop...it's tuned to the local public radio station...mostly classical music, news and that sort of thing...seems to keep them from getting worried about any little sound...they don't like rock or country, I've tried it. It's classical they really enjoy. I also have a red low voltage/LED light on in the coop at night...it's very dim...it doesn't seem to bother them. I sneak in to look at night and every one is settled and sound asleep...although if I'm not careful the boss roo will stand and check to see who is sneaking around his coop! The dim light is so they can see if something managed to get into the coop...they won't just sit blindly while some predator pulls them off their perch...all "Hell" will probably break out if any critter invades the coop. Yes they are shut in after dark...if I'm home to do it...but I worked 12 hour days and nights, so for a good part of the year, I leave before dark....and the other it's dark when I leave and when I get home. So the Chicken run is totally enclosed, but I have to leave the coop door open all night...so far (4 yrs) I haven't lost any birds that perch inside the coop...I've lost a pullet to a weasel, when she took to perching on the feeder outside in the run...and a couple to owls when they decided to show off their flight abilities and got caught outside the outer fenced in chicken yard just before dark. I think the radio calms them...and maybe makes predators more cautious about coming around...with the voices and music.

Back
Top Bottom