Rooster Chat

He's definitely not a rose comb RIR, I've had those and the comb is different, same with the EE. He's a hatchery quality Buckeye. Not every buckeye is show quality, and feathers fade in color over the season.

My sweet neighbor lady gave me some roosters. The two red with green black tail feathers look like maybe game-type birds. The other two are a black sex link and what is probably another black sex link. My production red and cochin mix pullets are not all that impressed. The fellas like the girls much more than they like them. The oldest and well behave BSL (not pictured) is the most well behaved. I want to keep one but not sure yet. I hoping one will decide to step up and be the protector. So far, it's between the oldest red one and the white neck BSL but then again maybe if the bratty boys was out of the picture the old one would step up his game.

My sweet neighbor lady gave me some roosters. The two red with green black tail feathers look like maybe game-type birds. The other two are a black sex link and what is probably another black sex link. My production red and cochin mix pullets are not all that impressed. The fellas like the girls much more than they like them. The oldest and well behave BSL (not pictured) is the most well behaved. I want to keep one but not sure yet. I hoping one will decide to step up and be the protector. So far, it's between the oldest red one and the white neck BSL but then again maybe if the bratty boys was out of the picture the old one would step up his game.
You will have a better chance of seeing personalitys by just having one in with the hens at a time. I would alternate for a week at a time to get an idea about which one works best for your needs.
1f60a.png

Saw my boy face off with a hawk today!

I heard this AWFUL growling out behind the house and I ran around to see what was going on. A small ish red tail had LANDED on the GROUND in front of the coop. All the girls were hiding inside. Nero, my Easter Egger rooster was on the step outside the run, up on his tippy toes stretched as tall as he could stand, chest puffed out and wings out and down like one of those military eagle statues. Fierce orange eyes flaring out from over his cute puffy cheeks. Not the most threatening of animals, but he made up for any deceiving cuteness with the heinous GROWL he was making.

The hawk saw me and flew off, but I'm sure Nero took credit by how he strutted after the threat was gone!

Saw my boy face off with a hawk today!

I heard this AWFUL growling out behind the house and I ran around to see what was going on. A small ish red tail had LANDED on the GROUND in front of the coop. All the girls were hiding inside. Nero, my Easter Egger rooster was on the step outside the run, up on his tippy toes stretched as tall as he could stand, chest puffed out and wings out and down like one of those military eagle statues. Fierce orange eyes flaring out from over his cute puffy cheeks. Not the most threatening of animals, but he made up for any deceiving cuteness with the heinous GROWL he was making.

The hawk saw me and flew off, but I'm sure Nero took credit by how he strutted after the threat was gone!

Good job Nero! I have an EE roo as well, he's so cute when he tries to look tough over those fluffy cheeks!!

Anybody have any tips on training a rooster to stay away from kids?

We have an EE roo, and he's pretty darn friendly most of the time. He'll let us catch him and hold him (we don't that very often, only when we need to move him). We have 3 little boys, ages 5, 3 and almost 2. He pretty much steers clear of the older two, but if my little one ends up near him without one of us really close by, Merlin (the roo) will go after him. He doesn't do a lot of damage. He mostly flaps and jumps at him, but he ends up knocking him over. He's done it twice now. My husband's ready to get rid of him, but our girls free range and there are a LOT of predators where we are, so I'd like to keep him around if at all possible if for nothing else than to give them a warning to go back to the coop if a predator is near. As much as I like Merlin and want him around, I can't have him scaring the pants off of my little guy, or potentially hurting him. TIA for any tips!

Anybody have any tips on training a rooster to stay away from kids?

We have an EE roo, and he's pretty darn friendly most of the time. He'll let us catch him and hold him (we don't that very often, only when we need to move him). We have 3 little boys, ages 5, 3 and almost 2. He pretty much steers clear of the older two, but if my little one ends up near him without one of us really close by, Merlin (the roo) will go after him. He doesn't do a lot of damage. He mostly flaps and jumps at him, but he ends up knocking him over. He's done it twice now. My husband's ready to get rid of him, but our girls free range and there are a LOT of predators where we are, so I'd like to keep him around if at all possible if for nothing else than to give them a warning to go back to the coop if a predator is near. As much as I like Merlin and want him around, I can't have him scaring the pants off of my little guy, or potentially hurting him. TIA for any tips!

If he stays away from the bigger kids then I'd just try to keep the littlest one away from the scenario where he's facing off a rooster by himself :-/ but that's probably not easy to accomplish.

Can you teach the kids to wave a small stick in from of them like they're sweeping the floor? Like how a blind person uses their cane. That might be intimidating enough that Merlin stays away without teaching any violence or disrespect to animals to the children.

Being easy to pick up might not be because he's a good boy, either. He might be standing still to show you that he's not afraid and holding his ground. Watch how he behaves as you approach and you'll see. If he's acting tense, faking tidbitting, holding his shoulder to you...He's being territorial. If he's acting like a girl, like if he moves away but not in a hurry and you can pick him up because he's relaxed....Then he's being a good boy.

Keep us posted!

If he stays away from the bigger kids then I'd just try to keep the littlest one away from the scenario where he's facing off a rooster by himself :-/ but that's probably not easy to accomplish.

Can you teach the kids to wave a small stick in from of them like they're sweeping the floor? Like how a blind person uses their cane. That might be intimidating enough that Merlin stays away without teaching any violence or disrespect to animals to the children.

Being easy to pick up might not be because he's a good boy, either. He might be standing still to show you that he's not afraid and holding his ground. Watch how he behaves as you approach and you'll see. If he's acting tense, faking tidbitting, holding his shoulder to you...He's being territorial. If he's acting like a girl, like if he moves away but not in a hurry and you can pick him up because he's relaxed....Then he's being a good boy.

Keep us posted!

Don't wave a stick! Most roosters find younger Kids threatening because of their fast movements and loud voices. Not every rooster is meant for every home. I would rehome him and adopt a new rooster. One that your kids can handle frequently. With lots of handling and treats they can build an alpha position and trust. Some breeds tend to be more aggressive. Not always but sometimes. We had a Polish roo who did the same thing only to my 4 year old and kids that age run in without thinking first. For us I didn't want to take Tue chance of him spuring my little man. We love roosters so I'm not saying it's not possible. Roosters can make great pets and protectors. But better to error on the side of caution when dealing with small children.

Back
Top Bottom