Rooster Chat

GreyCat, he's very dapper, indeed! The first year with my rooster, the girls had cuts from him mounting. I just sprayed BluKote, they healed. This year he has more girls to...spread the joy. :-/ didn't work, they're still bare backed, but no cuts this year. I'm hoping he slows down a bit, going to get a few more girls and fingers crossed he has enough. He was pretty narrow chested his first year, but now that he's into his second, he's gotten a lot broader. We'll see.

Generally speaking, a rooster you don't like isn't worth keeping. There's plenty of boys out there with gentle souls facing an uncertain life, needing adoption.

I have 2 -7 month old RIR cockerel, I let them in with the main flock and at first there was no problem but they got very aggressive with the girls. I watched them closely and one of them would purposely rip feathers out of the hens
somad.gif
Well he is still crowing for now, but his name is now fried chicken!

Young roosters often need to be kept separate for a while as they mature. They are typical teenage boys picking on the girls.

I was curious about this as well. We have a silkie roo I noticed picking on the girls. He never did before and my other roosters are very sweet to the girls. Is it something they grow out of? Mines closer to a year..
Some are decent from the start, but most seem to need 2 years to fully mature and settle down. My older roosters are kinder and gentler and will often look out for chicks and find food for them. A big difference from their first years of mate and cause chaos.

Jut a tip for those heaving problems with your roosters fighting and causing injury with spurs or serious damage to the hens backs, we put tape on out roosters spurs covering the tips and the rest of it, hoping this helps.

Back
Top Bottom