Rooster defending me?

Jul 22, 2021
I've got a first time broody and she is the most feisty broody I've had yet, she attacks me if I go in the coop so I'm moving her to an isolated coop where she can brood alone in peace. Well today I was trying to get things ready so it'll be easier to mover her and the eggs after dark and I was able to move the eggs to an open topped box and then she went crazy attacking and a few eggs git cracked in her rampage then the rest of the flock naturally ran in to see what was going on and I thought the rooster was gonna attack me too but he just looked at me then back at the broody charging me and he grabbed her by the neck feathers and walked out of the coop with her so I was able to finish what I was doing and remove the damaged eggs. After I left the coop she came back and climbed in the box now I'm just waiting for it to get dark so I can move them. I used to have a rooster that would trying attacking me and Jake my current rooster would grab him by the neck and drag him away from me until we got rid of him. My question is, why did Jake go for her instead of me? Technically I was the one posing a threat and she was just defending her eggs. Why did he used to drag to the old rooster away?

Roosters consider us, the people that take care of them, part of the flock. One of their duties is to break up fights between members of the flock (not all of them do it or care, but most should). My guess is that he saw this as a fight between flock mates and disciplined the attacker in order to break it up.

I've had similar events throughout the years. My favourite was when a big and docile tom turkey defended me after a very aggressive rooster attacked me, chased the crazy rooster until the latter was away from me.

I've got a first time broody and she is the most feisty broody I've had yet, she attacks me if I go in the coop so I'm moving her to an isolated coop where she can brood alone in peace. Well today I was trying to get things ready so it'll be easier to mover her and the eggs after dark and I was able to move the eggs to an open topped box and then she went crazy attacking and a few eggs git cracked in her rampage then the rest of the flock naturally ran in to see what was going on and I thought the rooster was gonna attack me too but he just looked at me then back at the broody charging me and he grabbed her by the neck feathers and walked out of the coop with her so I was able to finish what I was doing and remove the damaged eggs. After I left the coop she came back and climbed in the box now I'm just waiting for it to get dark so I can move them. I used to have a rooster that would trying attacking me and Jake my current rooster would grab him by the neck and drag him away from me until we got rid of him. My question is, why did Jake go for her instead of me? Technically I was the one posing a threat and she was just defending her eggs. Why did he used to drag to the old rooster away?
Actually I believe a rooster can protect you. I have two wonderful Ameraucana roosters three years old. Also had an obnoxious OEG bantam rooster who was obnoxious. (Not the one in my avator. He was a gem.)
The obnoxious one was sneaky. He would attack only if you weren't paying attention and then from the back. As long as you were watching him, you were safe, but I did worry about people coming. One day I was out and he kept getting closer and closer. The minute I looked at him he would stop and wait until I looked away then come closer. I was very aware of him and was more or less playing a game with him. When he was four or so feet away, one of the Ameraucana roosters, about twenty five feet away strolled over, picked him up by his neck feathers and tossed him into the air.
Without thinking I said to the big rooster, "WHAT A GOOD BOY TOU ARE"
Several days later I was giving the chickens treats. The same large rooster would take a treat from my hand, put it on the ground and call for the hens to come get it. I told him "What a good boy!"
At that he raced to the small obnoxious one who was a good ten feet away minding his own business and went after him.
After that when I would tell the big guy what a good boy he was he would look for and chase the bantam (Other than that they got along and the bantam was chased thirty feet or so the big rooster then stopped.)
One of my dogs also figured out I didn't like this bird and with no training, she kept him far far away from me. In fact when that dog was out he minded his business.

As I have said before and stand by, roosters have much more depth and breadth than hens. They have the capability of judgment and a good sense of intent. My take on this is that when your rooster saw that she was the aggressor, he went after her.

Back
Top Bottom