Rooster following

Nov 23, 2022
Hello all, Christie here đź‘‹

I have 4 roosters. My silkies don't come outside. So my sage gem, Clyde & my Welsummer are in and out alll the time. My roosters do not fight. However, it’s very strange that my sage gem roo seems to be 2nd man in charge. My Welsummer, Amos, he knows it is his coop. He is top Roo. No one gets to my Welsummer without going through my sage gem. They are not mean, but Sage gem follows the Welsummer all the time, he is the Manolo to Tony Montana. Is this normal? Or do I just have very entertaining roosters!! Do they just have personable natures?

Hello all, Christie here đź‘‹

I have 4 roosters. My silkies don't come outside. So my sage gem, Clyde & my Welsummer are in and out alll the time. My roosters do not fight. However, it’s very strange that my sage gem roo seems to be 2nd man in charge. My Welsummer, Amos, he knows it is his coop. He is top Roo. No one gets to my Welsummer without going through my sage gem. They are not mean, but Sage gem follows the Welsummer all the time, he is the Manolo to Tony Montana. Is this normal? Or do I just have very entertaining roosters!! Do they just have personable natures?
Roosters can be really interesting sometimes! I have a rooster named Darcy who hates my Sussex rooster Herry and for the longest time I thought he couldn't be trusted around hens as he was Aldo too much for them, until my tiny little legbar cream hen Rayla jumped in his pen. I literally thought he would accidentally kill her as he's like 5 times her size, BUT to my full and complete surprise he was wanted to give her food and he was being nicer than any other of my sweet roosters combined!!! She sleeps in his pen evey night now and he never hurts or even courts her. My other smaller rooster Buff Buck who's like half Darcy's size seems to respect Darcy for being kind and he has never been agressive.

As members have said above, cockerels who are not gamefowl will be more docile towards each other when they grow up. It is normal and certainly a good thing when they behave in this way.

So basically they are just personable and I should enjoy how they established their pecking order!!!!
I do love my chickens !!!!
Roosters are not exactly in the pecking order; at least, they are not involved in the way that hens are. If you watch your flock, you will most likely notice that the average rooster does not care whether or not his hens are fighting. A male is not supposed to be engaged in the pecking order, unless he sees his hens' fighting getting too fierce. The "pecking order" that roosters make among other males is what I refer to as the dominance hierarchy, as it is a lot different from the hens' hierarchy. For roosters, fighting is about breeding rights and territory; for hens, it is about all resources, including food, water, nesting locations, dust-bathing spots and much more.

Thank you, this is very interesting information. I love learning new things. I only really know about equine pecking order and I’ve never seen my chickens fight so this was very informative. Thanks 👍

Back
Top Bottom