Rooster Is Pecking/Biting One Of My Hens On The Neck ?

mxitman

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 6, 2010
Bainbridge Island, WA
My Coop
My Coop
I'm new to the Chicken world and got 3 chickens last fall, one of them has turned out to be a rooster. Living in the city this poses a problem as we are only allowed 3 chickens all hens, so I'm hoping I can just incubate a few of the eggs and then either sell him or make him into dinner. My problem is that this week i've noticed that when I let them out of the coop in the morning the rooster follows one of the hens and does this weird dance around her, he starts at the back of her sort of stands tall and struts around blocking her in the front and culminating with him biting onto the back of her neck. It seems very mean and she lets him know it hurts but I'm not sure if it's normal or what is going on. He only does it for about 5 mins and then leaves her alone the rest of the day. I'm going to try and catch it on video tomorrow. Not sure if it matters but the one he bites is laying eggs now, she is a red maran. The other hen is a delaware and the rooster is a black australop.

The rooster knows that hen is laying eggs and he's doing the mating ritual for her. From your description it sounds very normal and also sounds like he's being a gentleman about it. The hens get used to it and don't raise such a fuss as time goes on.
Welcome to BYC!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom