Rooster issues

At 6 months your boy is still a cockeral who is trying to dominate the older hens. Nothing you're describing sounds out of the ordinary for 2 groups of chickens who are learning to share space. It will take some time (think months) but they should work it out.

My 'original' flock consists of 5 older hens and 3 pullets (the pullets turn 1 year old this mo.) The pullets will mate with the cockerels but still roost in separate coop with my older hens. They're allowed to eat with the new chicks I raised this spring but the older hens are chased off.My hens don't use the run anymore and won't leave their coop until I open the people door.My run is divided so I can separate my pullets and cockerels from my older hens
In my coop I have a part that is fenced off for new chicks or if one is sick. So right now I have 10 week old chicks in there. My chickens free range on 10 acres and he will chase them all over the yard.

In my coop I have a part that is fenced off for new chicks or if one is sick. So right now I have 10 week old chicks in there. My chickens free range on 10 acres and he will chase them all over the yard.
My older hens and pullets both are laying now so its very noise here. Esp when the 'roosters' chase the hens away.They should settle down in a couple months.M hens don't go in the fenced chicken yard I attached to the main run. They free range away from the pullet flock or hang out in my backyard with my dogs.This is what happens when the hens refuse to mate or don't accept the rooster.As long as good to your pullets don't worry about it

He is bothering you, if you want separate him from the flock until January or February. EVERYone will be ready by then. If you don't like his behavior then, let him go out of your flock, however you want. I seldom advise separating birds as it often times causes more problems than it fixes, but a single young rooster is the exception.

I do not like strife in my flock, always solve for peace in the flock.

Mrs K

No they don’t get away. And I find it odd that he really only goes after the older hens and not the young ones.
Seems he wants to make ALL of the hens accept him and have one big flock, which is natural. As he is young, untill he's older, this will probably continue. Some roosters will call them over and show them little treats until hes won them over, others just force the issue. I found the hormones mostly in the morning are over abundant. You can separate him for awhile while allowing them to see each other until he calms down, which will take time. I never liked seeing my hens upset like that.

Back
Top Bottom