Rooster Keeps Attacking me!

First off-it was suggested to stick to chickens-aren't roos chickens? anyhoo-it is important to think of little people that are closer to the ground and not as quick as adults. that said-I don't think its a kindness to rehome an aggressive roo knowing how angry people can treat "evil" animals. kinder to cull at home and move on. good luck.

I have a spring born silver laced wyandotte rooster that started attacking me and singling out a particular hen. He bloodied her comb and turned her into such an emotional wreck that I had to re-home her. Then he started to single out another hen and injure her. A friend told me to grab the rooster by the legs and hang him upside down for a minute. Just walking around with him upside down takes his power away. This changes the neuronet in the brain and establishes you as the Alpha. Do this when his behavior is unacceptable toward you or the hens. I can trap in in the corner with a lawn rake and grab his legs, or use a fish net. Just for good measure, I have done this several days in a row and let them free range during the day. So far, his attitude has been modified a bit. But, I am still thinking of finding a gentleman rooster for my 8 girls. Thanks for your comments.

Sorry to tell you but I think you have a bad roo. A lot of folks do not advocate hanging a bird by its legs - I'm too new to chickens to have an opinion but I do know that a good roo should not be attacking his hens. Is he just too rough trying to mate her?

We had SLW roo this year who kept attacking us. He ended up in the crock pot. However up to a point he was very good to the hens.

If he is causing that much trouble with your flock then separate, re-home or send him to freezer camp. I would not want to breed an aggressive roo - which is why ours is gone now.

Good luck.

You just gotta show him whos boss and that you are bigger and stronger than him! If he doesnt get that through his head its time for him to take a visit to the crockpot...

One of my first roo's/ chickens did that. Whenever me or my Dad went out to feed him and the other one, he'd do a little dance, and attack. My dad got sick of this, and I got really scared so one day I cornered him, picked him up and said "Nugget! Why are you so mean? That's not nice." While I starred ubto his eyes. Then eventually we gave him away xD

UPDATE: The thread I created got closed, so I made a page, which I will continue to update: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=63850-the-definite-guide-to-roosters. It now includes pictures! I really hope it helps whoever has an aggressive rooster, and if you have questions, just ask (PM me or something).
smile.png

Last edited:
We have an Americauna Rooster that has been attacking us as well. At first he was attacking my son and husband but I thought he just needed time to get used to us. Then today I went in the yard to feed our dog and when I bent down he came out of nowhere and spurred my arm and I fell to the ground which was not good because I am almost 6 months pregnant!! I was so angry! Then I left the yard and stood at the gate and he stood on the other side of the gate crowing and staring at me like he had defeated me. Well needless to say I still had to go water my dog so I got on the computer and found this site to see what I could do because he wouldnt even let me step foot back in my own yard! So when I went to water my dog I brought my broom to make sure I was protected and wouldn't fall down again. Sure enough the second I turned my back he came running at me and I heard him just in time enough to turn around and aim the broom at him...which luckily he ran into my broom and not my arm this time! Then he tried again and once again I told him "No!" and put the broom in towards him and he jumped up into the broom (the brush part he was not injured) and he fell backwards since he lost his balance. When he stopped wobbling he tried one more time (he had me cornered on my own yard!) and my dog ran at him and he backed off at the last second and went to the other side of the yard. I called my Husband and told him enough is enough I have to be able to go in my yard and I don't want my kids spurred by him again either! It is very painful to get spurred especially when he peirces the skin like he did today! I am lucky I fell on my hip and not my stomach when I fell because I could have hurt my baby by landing on my stomach. When my husband gets home today that Rooster is now dinner. I would not have the heart to give him to another family and worry that he will hurt them too. We have had him for almost 6 months so enough is enough!! My brother in law has a really nice Buff Orpington Rooster that has always been nice to my kids and to us so we are going to get him today!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Sure they can be reformed... WITH a soup bowl! LOL!

They're sure reformed now, ain't they? I am worried about this too, though. We are hatching out chicks now and no doubt will be getting some young cockerels out of the lot, and I Hope to keep one or two (my neighbors said they didn't care... we'll see how it goes). I am worried about getting a mean or obnoxious roo, as well, because truth of the matter is, he'll be soup.

I am also hatching out some silkies, though, and I hear that silkie roos are gentle with people and good to their hens but become fierce when necessary in order to defend their flock... any word on that from the experienced folk here? If they make good flock tenders and are gentle, I may end up keeping a silkie roo.

My rooster has given up on attacking me after being carried around like a sack of beans a few times, but I had to have a house sitter watch my animals while I was on vacation and the roo repeatedly went after the sitter. It was bad enough that the sitter couldn't enter the coop to do basic care and maintenance on the flock.

A human aggressive roo is always going to be aggressive to humans, and no amount of rehabilitation will change that. They may choose their targets a little more wisely in the future, but they will always be looking for a new target. My roo is scheduled for processing as soon as the 8 foot snow drift is melted from around my abbatoir.

Soloclover30-
welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you weren't hurt more seriously by your roo.

"I am also hatching out some silkies, though, and I hear that silkie roos are gentle with people and good to their hens but become fierce when necessary in order to defend their flock... any word on that from the experienced folk here? If they make good flock tenders and are gentle, I may end up keeping a silkie roo."

We have 3 silkie roos all about the same age. They are not as aggressive as our Americana Alpha Roo. I can pick them up pretty easily, which I have been doing a lot as their neck feathers are filling in and they need preening. They never chase us. They spar amongst themselves sometimes but not too badly. They are young and so we try to handle them frequently. We didn't handle the Americana rooster. He likes to sneak up on me so I bring a dog with me in the yard and he leaves me alone. I've also taken to carrying the deck sweeper with me just in case. He is my sister's chicken, not mine, and will not be coming to live with me when I move into my own house, so I don't worry about it. She has no problem picking him up and being his boss. I don't like him though.

So get some silkie roosters! They are totally cute.

I am also hatching out some silkies, though, and I hear that silkie roos are gentle with people and good to their hens but become fierce when necessary in order to defend their flock... any word on that from the experienced folk here? If they make good flock tenders and are gentle, I may end up keeping a silkie roo​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom