Rooster or Hen that Crows?

Ah yes, that totally slipped my mind. You could do a bachelor pad and keep all the extra males, and have one with your pullets, or you could just house all males in the bachelor pad. The article section has some great advice on rooster flocks
Great idea for when we start hatching our own. It looks like the place we got them is willing to take the three extra roos back and keep them on her farm until she can find them a home. :)

local husband and wife who are fairly new to incubating eggs. They thought they identified 1 as a rooster and 8 others as hens
For future reference, hatcheries who have folks trained in sexing chickens, still have a margin of error. It is something very difficult to do. I don't mean to take away from these breeders, but it is likely that people on Craigslist, if advertising a young chick as a certain gender, are going to be incorrect.

Wing sexing, feather sexing (before a cockerel actually shows male specific feathers ~ 14 to 20 weeks) , etc are also generally snake oil

The best way to nearly ENSURE you are getting a certain gender are buying verified sex linked chicks.

For future reference, hatcheries who have folks trained in sexing chickens, still have a margin of error. It is something very difficult to do. I don't mean to take away from these breeders, but it is likely that people on Craigslist, if advertising a young chick as a certain gender, are going to be incorrect.

Wing sexing, feather sexing (before a cockerel actually shows male specific fe
thers ~ 14 to 20 weeks) , etc are also generally snake oil

The best way to nearly ENSURE you are getting a certain gender are buying verified sex linked chicks.

Wing sexing, feather sexing (before a cockerel actually shows male specific feathers ~ 14 to 20 weeks) , etc are also generally snake oil

Yes, we learned that lesson for sure. We got them locally from a couple who hatched then for us. We may add a few hens to the flock this fall, but I'd prefer to get some that are sexed this time so I don't have to keep killing roosters.

Back
Top Bottom