Rooster or Hen

Do I have hens or Roos? I can't figure it out!! They crow in morning, and when we make noise in the house. They are currently in house because of the cold weather. They will 4 months on March 8.
welcome-byc.gif

Both these birds are rooster. You should start considering their future now, as they're going to hit puberty hard anytime now.

I have plans to give 2 of my 4 away. The other two are not pictured. They have the same look as these 2. It's not that I can't have roosters at my place, but I don't want my neighbors to hate me either!! I'm new to all this and don't need to throw more "what ifs" into the whole chicken things!!
Thanks for the input from all who have responded.

Umm to clarify..you are saying you have 4 roosters? How many pullets do you have? The "safe" ratio of roos to hens should be one roo for every 6 hens. Personally I prefer 1 roo to every 10 or 15 hens. (Hoping you have 20 or so pullets, 10 for each roo). So, unless you have a separate area after getting rid of 2 of your roos to house one of your 2 remaining roosters away from the hens (and he will be noisy and drive your neighbors bonkers), I would suggest you get rid of all your roos except 1. Putting 2 roosters with a small number of hens is a recipe for disaster. Your roos will be constantly fighting (trying to kill each other) and your hens will be stressed beyond stressed and will lay poorly.

Last edited:
Me having 4 roosters was not my plan. I had bought 5 barred rocks being told they were all hens. I had no intentions on any Roos. I have had 2 definite Roos, but 2 that I am leaning towards Roos. They do not crow yet, but have some of the same features as the 2 Roos. I understand the possibility that the others might be hens, but I am totally new to this. I will post pics of all 5 chickens that I have. I will let you all decide what they are......I need help with this!!:):)

Lol.. no worries. I am fairly new to the chicken game too. My first 6 chickens I ever got I decided to trust the store clerk as to what they were. Out of a bin labeled pullets, which is what I wanted, she picked out what turned out to be 3 roos and 3 pullets and she got the breeds wrong too. Turns out the feedstore took all their roo chicks from the roo bin and had put them all in with the pullets and didn't tell me and left the bin labelled pullets. I found out a month after I had bought them when I went back to buy some feed and watched the clerk taking all the roos from a new shipment and adding them to the pullet bin. I have no idea why they were being so misleading. So I had to rehome 2 roos which is not fun to do after you have fallen in love with them.
sad.png
Everything will turn out fine Fly67
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I'm afraid I already know the answer, but...
Rooster or hen? This barred rock is about 2.5 weeks old, and looks much different than the other two I got (I'll post their pics next). Not the best pics, but this one is more gray than black, with more white on the wings, and really no dark coloring on the legs like the other two. At two days old, this one had a perfectly round light spot on the head, which I thought was supposed to indicate a female, but now I'm not so sure. Thanks in advance for the help!

Back
Top Bottom