Rooster pecking hen

stanfosd

Chirping
6 Years
May 2, 2017
I am having an issue with my Rooster, or at least as I see it, it is. My rooster is pecking one of the hens ( a small Golden Comet hen) on the back of the head, which seems to cause many of the other hens to gang up and in a frenzy, also peck the Golden Comet hen's head. The rooster happily mates with all of the other hens, but this hen he will not. She submits to him, but he does not mount her, instead he pecks her causing the other hens to gang up on her.

I have a flock of 1 Australorp rooster, with 15 Australorp hens, 1 Golden Laced Wyandotte hen, and 2 Golden Comet hens. I have had all of the Australorp and Golden Laced hens for several years with no issues. About 9 months ago, I added the 2 Golden Comet hens, and they came in and pretty much took over the flock. The were very strong willed.

Then about 4 months ago, we got our rooster. He was only about 5 months old at the time, and when we introduced him he did quite well. The Golden Laced and the 2 Golden Comets gave him a lot of grief, but he quickly (and as gently as I felt was necessary) established himself as flock leader. At least one of the Golden Comets continue to ambush him whenever she could, but eventually this too died down and we had a happy flock. He began mating the hens, and has been doing so for a month or 2 now.

This pecking issue just started this week, and I have separated the Golden Comet hen as her comb was a bit bloodied and her head beat up a bit. She is a small hen, but I do not know if that is because she is unable to eat or drink in safety. We have, currently 2 coops with a total of about 40sq.ft. of coop space and they have a 1600 sq.ft. area inside electric poultry netting with multiple waterers and feeders. I do not think space is the issue. However, I dont know why the rooster would pick on this one hen all of a sudden. He has been fantastic with the hens otherwise.

I am debating rehoming this hen, but if this is a rooster issue, it may just happen to the next hen in line. I dont want to have to get rid of the rooster, as I do feel he has been good, however something does have to change I am afraid. Any input or suggestion would be appreciated.

:welcome This hen may have resisted/fought him when he was younger. He still regards her as a challenge rather than a mate even though she now is willing to submit. Sometimes the rooster eventually accepts such a hen, and sometimes the behavior escalates to him killing her.

I kind of assumed it was something like that, or something wrong with the hen that the other chickens could sense that I cannot.

So, it sounds like if I were to rehome this hen, the rooster likely would not simply pick a new target?

Also, would there be any benefit in trying to isolate the rooster in 'time-out' for a couple of days to see if that aids the situation?

I kind of assumed it was something like that, or something wrong with the hen that the other chickens could sense that I cannot.

So, it sounds like if I were to rehome this hen, the rooster likely would not simply pick a new target?

Also, would there be any benefit in trying to isolate the rooster in 'time-out' for a couple of days to see if that aids the situation?
Rehoming the rooster, or hen would probably be your best bet. Time out will likely not work. It may even cause more issues.

If the male is good with the other hens I would just cull that one hen. You also have a lot of hens for one male. He might just have so many hens he gets to be picky.

I hope you got rid of that rooster because if you remove that Comet the Astrolourps(all of them) are going to gang up on your other comet and wyandotte.

This flock already lived under minority rule, that has to stay the rule or there will no longer be a minority left.

I hope you got rid of that rooster because if you remove that Comet the Astrolourps(all of them) are going to gang up on your other comet and wyandotte.

This flock already lived under minority rule, that has to stay the rule or there will no longer be a minority left.
What do you mean? It just sounds like a rooster who is challenging the old dominant hen. And minority rule? I never heard of that.

What do you mean? It just sounds like a rooster who is challenging the old dominant hen. And minority rule? I never heard of that.
Birds are social creatures. The hen submitted and the roster did this. Him and the hens do not consider her a part of the flock and he likely will not react well to the others that look different either. The Astrolourp Hens love him, they will probably kill for him, I mean he freed them and lets them beat up their old boss.

Anyways, what did you do and how did it turn out?

Back
Top Bottom