Rooster pecking hen

I actually had this happen to me as well recently. To the point the bullied hen had a swollen eye and a bloody head. I separated her from everyone else but he started after another hen so he has been removed from my flock. Sadly the original chicken is still being picked on by one hen in her coop. The rest leave her alone. The problem is she's so traumatized by being beat up she hides and runs constantly. She is also super thin because they haven't been letting her eat. I'm hoping this will all settle down since I've removed the rooster and I can let everyone free range again. Red my beat up chicken seems to prefer her fenced off area of the run where no one can mess with her so I just let her be for now. Hopefully your chickens have settled back down.

I had this very thing happen but it turned out the hen was ill, I got her better and he stopped the bullying.

I dont really have any update as of yet. Still have the one hen separated. She seems fairly happy just living outside of the fenced paddock where the others are. Occasionally, another hen will get out and she will have some company. I am working on an arrangement to re-home the pair of goldens, but it hasnt happened yet.

As far as the roo and the golden wyandotte relationship; there has been no indication of anything other than happiness between them. Other than the initial meeting where the wyandotte did challenge the roo, just the one time. After that, they have been perfectly good.

Back
Top Bottom