Rooster question

It may not be you, it could be him, or something in the environment contributing to whatever he's doing.

What do you do when he acts up?
I haven't done anything until today. I just put a chick in a separate pen on that side so I was making sure he was reacting to me and not the chick. Today I used a switch to encourage him to the far pen and he went fairly well while I refilled their feeder. I haven't come up with a game plan, I just needed to get done while I was on my lunch. To clarify, it's a low pen and coop so I have limited manueverability there. Mom says I need a proper coop but her idea of a proper coop and mine are quite different.

Last edited:
I have an incredibly friendly rooster that walks with me everywhere and whenever I go down he lets me give him a pat on his back, But he goes insane when I try picking him up, First, he will jump and run but if I catch up he will just go "Aw man, You got me, Okay what do you need" Hes so friendly because I hand-feed him some times and I have a good relation with his hens, Even sometimes I will keep the door wide open and he will sorta make himself at home and climb up the steps, Your rooster may be a bit happier if you give him a high place to be at so he can crow comfortably. and he just MIGHT be a bit friendlier.
Can I have YOUR rooster?????!!! LOL This one is my last rooster till I hatch more. I would love a friendly rooster. But I never really wanted pets, that makes it harder to eat them which was my long term plan. BUT if something I'm doing is creating ornery roosters I'm not sure there's much point in trying to keep one.

Can I have YOUR rooster?????!!! LOL This one is my last rooster till I hatch more. I would love a friendly rooster. But I never really wanted pets, that makes it harder to eat them which was my long term plan. BUT if something I'm doing is creating ornery roosters I'm not sure there's much point in trying to keep one.
I do not think you would like my rooster.. Hes incredibly protective and when I ordered some hay to get delivered he ran over to the delivery driver and completely started attacking him, It was so funny to watch on camera but I feel so bad. He seems to only like me for some reason.:th

I do not think you would like my rooster.. Hes incredibly protective and when I ordered some hay to get delivered he ran over to the delivery driver and completely started attacking him, It was so funny to watch on camera but I feel so bad. He seems to only like me for some reason.:th
Ah well. Sounds like you are correct. At least you can handle him. 😁

Aggression is entirely genetic I think. I've had a dozen or so roosters now of different breeds, I treated them all identically, and only the breeds known for aggression have been human aggressive
🤔 Well, he and his hatchmate did come from the same hatchery and it's entirely possible they share genetics. I culled his 'brother' for aggressive behaviour. This one, however, was entirely laid back until now. Which is why I was wondering if it was me he's reacting to.

🤔 Well, he and his hatchmate did come from the same hatchery and it's entirely possible they share genetics. I culled his 'brother' for aggressive behaviour. This one, however, was entirely laid back until now. Which is why I was wondering if it was me he's reacting to.
Chickens aren't robots, there's always some variation in behavior. It's possible that one inherited aggression and the other didn't. It's also possible that something triggered aggression in one of them

I've always been of the mind that over-aggression is genetic at the root. If you have a bird that has it, he's got it for good. That's why I've never tolerated it. I don't want any of that business passed on to any offspring. And, heck, I ain't spending what I spend in feed to go out and get whooped by a bird with a bad attitude.:p

I raise mine hands-off. I've heard it particularly advised against to hand-tame cockerels from a young age because of the potential boundary issues it may cause. I don't think this necessarily causes aggression problems in and of itself but could make the aggression worse if the bird is hard-wired that way.

I've always raised mine the same way and had variations in temperament, even within the same breeds. In the line of Wyandottes I'm working with now, docility is one of the traits that has been taken into account, and the roo I've got is one of the favorites I've ever had. He likes chest rubs at roost time, which is about all I give, and doesn't pay any attention to me otherwise, except at feeding time of course--which is how I like it.

Last edited:
Those that attack everyone but you will eventually get the courage up to attack you too

Back
Top Bottom