Rooster question

LadyTurkey

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 5, 2011
GreatFalls
As you can guess from my name, I am more of a turkey person, our neighbor has chickens. We have three male turkeys. Sometimes the neighbors chickens come and free range in our yard if they get out, which is fine. They have 2 roosters as well. One younger one that is a sweet nice little guy and just sticks to him self. But the other one....is EVIL! he wont give up when you tell him to get lost, he will try and attack me through the fence. I show that im not scared of him, but he will just keep at it, its bothering me so much to the point that i dont want to let my turkeys out of their fenced in area for fear that he might attack them or something. Or me LOL any tips on how to deal with this would be great.

Well that just isn't right. Chasing the rooster is one way to show dominance, but you really shouldn't have to deal with an aggressive rooster in your yard. Maybe you should ask the neighbor how to deal with the rooster, after all they should know what he is up to.

You would think so, our neighbor doesnt care really, he said just wack him with something. Hence why i carry a shovel around. They only have that rooster because the other ppl that owned him got rid of him because he was attacking their children. I am pregnant currently...so i am even more careful now
Oh should i worry about him going after my turkeys? He isnt that big of a rooster but his spurs are massive! My turkeys are 20+ lbs

Last edited:
Do you have a hose that will reach the rooster's area? A couple of drenchings might discourage him.

With a possible risk of diseases and parasites from the neighbor's flock, you might want to keep your birds separated.

Oh should i worry about him going after my turkeys?

^I wouldn't worry too much. Most turkeys will be above chickens in the pecking order.​

With a possible risk of diseases and parasites from the neighbor's flock, you might want to keep your birds separated.

Oh should i worry about him going after my turkeys?

^I wouldn't worry too much if they did come into contact. Most turkeys will be above chickens in the pecking order.​

Last edited:
Quote:
^I wouldn't worry too much if they did come into contact. Most turkeys will be above chickens in the pecking order.

They usually are separate, the only time the chickens are near the turkeys is if the chickens get out while im free ranging the turkeys, Today since the chickens are out wondering around, the turkeys are being kept in their enclosure , so that there are no issues ....Hopefully LOL

When you let your turkeys free range with the rooster present you might want to keep an eye out at first. Hopefully he isn't so cocky when a fence isn't there. You of course have a right to do what ever you want with that mean rooster since he is on your property. He could draw blood with his spurs if he catches you with bare legs, but if you are wearing jeans a kick would probably result in a bruise. Still it doesn't seem like you should need to be on guard against and evil rooster in your own yard.

Can you capture him and remove his spurs? If the neighbors are irresponsible about their flock, and the birds are on your property - I'd say it's well within your rights to remove those big nasty spurs!

On the other hand - do you have a dog?! My Dane would sort his rooster ass in about two seconds

Tressa

Back
Top Bottom