Rooster Spurs?

Oh, I'm sure it's rare. But the OP's story is hauntingly familiar to me so I felt obligated to share where things may be headed. As always, they are individuals but hen-aggressive behavior is not cool.

Oh, I'm sure it's rare. But the OP's story is hauntingly familiar to me so I felt obligated to share where things may be headed. As always, they are individuals but hen-aggressive behavior is not cool.
Oh, you'll get no argument from me on that. Hen-aggressive roosters are extra tasty.

I just realized that it wasn't the OP who wrote about the rooster that doesn't play well with hens outside his flock. I hope the OP understands that I'm not suggesting that a cockerel that scratched a back or gripped a comb by accident is likely to become a murderer. Being awkward and being rough are different.

Thanks, debid, for the clarification. Yes, my boy just made a booboo. He's very gentle with his girls, and they love him. There have been no more incidents. My boy was 'mating challenged' from the first. He used to mount the hens backwards, silly boy, until he caught on to how it is done. He's very bright, in all other areas, except this department.

He's smart enough not to mate with the little Bantie, though he tried in the beginning, but her loud, shrill shrieks of protest taught him it wasn't cool, and he quit. But he is still quite protective of her and they love each other-- just like a big brother and little sister.

I just realized that it wasn't the OP who wrote about the rooster that doesn't play well with hens outside his flock. I hope the OP understands that I'm not suggesting that a cockerel that scratched a back or gripped a comb by accident is likely to become a murderer. Being awkward and being rough are different.
This makes more sense to me. I wrote my answer to you based on the OP's problem, not the rooster further down the list that was attacking hens outside his flock. Thanks for the clarification!

I just take a good sturdy pair of pliers, grip firmly (not tightly) at the base of the spur. I then rock the pliers with the spur back and forth slowly. There should be a pop/click and the spur should come right off.

I have never had a rooster bleed more than 3 drops. Most don't even bleed at all.
Remember, this just takes off the spur cap, not the entire spur. Don't try to pull off the whole spur, just try to slide the hard cap off. A shorter, duller spur will remain on the bird. This is probably what you meant, Chicken Crazy, and JerseyGiantFolk, but "snap off his spur" "spur should come right off" isn't really what's happening, and I don't want someone to really injure their bird.

This is what we did when our RIR's spurs got so long he (probably accidentally) sliced up a hen during mating. Worked like a charm. We didn't get much blood, either. Sprayed the spurs with BluCote and never had a problem.
Aye, thank you for adding that.

Sometimes it take two people to de-spur; one to hold, and one to use the pliers.

I had come to the conclusion that he was very territorial with his hens. He is a great rooster to his flock of 7, he sits in the laying box with them and is their "birthing - coach", as some say. He gets very worried when he can't see his ladies and panics. He has never shown aggression to humans, but he just abhors outsider hens

I was just curious if anyone else had a rooster exhibit behavior like this.
I have a rooster that doesn't like the 3 older hens at all! he will go after them and hurt them if he can. But these 3 older hens will peck at the younger hens when they are in nest boxes trying to lay so I believe he is just getting them back for picking on his girls. I keep them separated for the most part although I wish they could all live together to make my life easier
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom