Rooster Spurs?

One of my roosters will not cope with another flock of 3 hens I have. He'll chase them till they start panting, jab them with one of his spurs, and not mate with them... but stand on them and make clucking "food here" sounds and his flock ladies will come and start ripping out the captured hens feathers... has anyone have a rooster who does this? When he's in his own pen, and I let out his ladies, they get along with the others...

I’ve never seen anything like that. Sometimes you get roosters or hens that are just brutes. There are too many good ones out there to put up with that. Advertise him on craigslist so someone can come get him to eat him if you can’t process him yourself and try a new one. You’ll be a lot happier and better off.

I understand that sometimes pets are pets, but there have to be limits. If he is doing what you say he is doing, he is well beyond limits.

One of my roosters will not cope with another flock of 3 hens I have. He'll chase them till they start panting, jab them with one of his spurs, and not mate with them... but stand on them and make clucking "food here" sounds and his flock ladies will come and start ripping out the captured hens feathers... has anyone have a rooster who does this? When he's in his own pen, and I let out his ladies, they get along with the others...

I’ve never seen anything like that. Sometimes you get roosters or hens that are just brutes. There are too many good ones out there to put up with that. Advertise him on craigslist so someone can come get him to eat him if you can’t process him yourself and try a new one. You’ll be a lot happier and better off.

I understand that sometimes pets are pets, but there have to be limits. If he is doing what you say he is doing, he is well beyond limits.
X2. I don't ever keep any rooster that mistreats hens. I will only tolerate a certain amount of baloney directed at me and they sure better be good with the hens. The behavior described is likely to eventually lead to a hen being killed, either by the rooster himself or by his encouraging of the others to attack.

I had come to the conclusion that he was very territorial with his hens. He is a great rooster to his flock of 7, he sits in the laying box with them and is their "birthing - coach", as some say. He gets very worried when he can't see his ladies and panics. He has never shown aggression to humans, but he just abhors outsider hens

I was just curious if anyone else had a rooster exhibit behavior like this.

That is sure weird rooster behavior, JerseyGiantFolk! What is OEGB?
OEGB=Old English Game bantam

Last edited:
Your rooster sounds quite quirky like mine, Jersey, with tons of personality. I've heard Bantam roosters can be llike that.

He sounds like a fine rooster with his own girls, the same as my rooster. He gets feisty with me, and I think it's because I raised him by hand indoors, after his StepMama and siblings nearly pecked him to death when he first hatched, with one eye tightly shut.

He was the sweetest chick, but when hormones hit, he tried to mate with my hand. I don't think he can ever quite forgive me for not being a hen, not having the proper apparatus for him to mate with, so he shows his disdain by getting feisty with me, since he can't truly 'control' me like he does his hens.

But that's okay. I totally understand. You just have to think like a rooster to get it.

My rooster is very big and at first he tried to mate with my little Bantie, a Sebright. But soon he caught on this was NOT a good idea, and he leaves her alone. He loves her, though, and will find her food. Because she's the tiniest of the flock, the big hens will peck at her and chase her away from the food, but he never does this. She sidles up to him and hides from the other hens and is protected by him when she eats. It's so sweet.

I have a tomcat who bullies the other cats, and my rooster is the only being who can put the fear of God in my tomcat and make him vamoose.

Roosters that have started mating will not be experts. My OEGB cockerel would grab my OEGB pullet by the hackles and pull her down on her side, but soon he figured out how to mate.

That behavior is NOT normal! I think you need to get rid of that rooster lol.

Roosters that have started mating will not be experts. My OEGB cockerel would grab my OEGB pullet by the hackles and pull her down on her side, but soon he figured out how to mate. 

Better name him "Nuggets" because that Rooster has no business being anything but food.
Seriously, that's behavior that is WAY out from normal and well past bad.

Oh, that is not normal in the slightest, and that rooster should be culled ASAP. I wouldn't even try to give him away. A rooster should care for his hens, not offer them up as dinner.

Back
Top Bottom