Rooster Temperment??

samjoh95

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 4, 2011
I am Looking for a well tempered rooster, any suggestions?? My flock consists of 5 hens that are roughly 6 months old and 1 fully grown hen. I need a Roo that will be good with kids and people.

First, I want to say that no rooster can be guaranteed to be good with kids, especially small ones. They make roosters nervous with their sudden, jerky movements. My boys are very calm, even-tempered and easy to handle, but I never allow kids near them, not ever. Most everyone should have a policy that small kids, who are just the right height to be flogged in the eyes by that rooster, should never be allowed to approach the rooster without a barrier between them or an adult controlling the rooster. A rooster may be calm around adults, but that same rooster may be very jumpy around a kid.

Roosters who come from calm, non-human-aggressive parent stock are more likely to be what you want.

Is this a Want to Buy ad? If so, you need to post it in our Buy/Sell/Auction in the proper format and let a mod or admin close this one for you.
smile.png

My darling Sherman fits the bill. He is a Blue Copper Marans. He takes great care of his hens and is respectful of humans. I think it is in how you manage a roo. Train them to be cooped up at night and they'll put their girls to bed. When they are young, catch and inspect them every couple of days. Then when they are grown catch them and carry them around now and then. This asserts your dominance. Sherman is not cuddly. He will not come up to you. He does not want to be petted. I call him my darling because he is very well behaved and takes great care of his ladies. Because I handled him young, he settles down when caught and doesn't fight. He did 'bite' me once. I was shooing his ladies and he took offense. I carried him around for an hour while I did my other chores. (Note: feeding horses one handed with a ten pound roo under one arm is not easy.)

They wouldn't be around small children, just 7-ish and older. No this isn't a wanted to buy ad, just trying to select a breed that would be good for my flock. And I've never looked too much in to orpingtons, any particular reason they are so great??

I don't think it's really a certain breed of rooster that's nice. There are mean silkies just like there are mean rhode islands. It depends on the personality of the individual.

Last edited:
Its an individual thing, yes, more so than a breed thing, though certain breeds, generally, are thought to either be calmer or more aggressive than others.

My big blue Orpington rooster is about 14 lb and has never shown any human aggression in the almost 5 years he's been here since hatch. His sons are the same way 99% of the time. I can handle him, he will come when called, he is not overly concerned when we handle his hens because he knows we will not hurt them no matter how much of a fuss they make, but he's alert and ready to defend them if need be. The only problem with a huge rooster is that he would need large hens as well. I can't just give my Suede any hen; she must be able to take his size.

I would agree it depends on the bird.But silkie and cochins are mellow(NOT a FAN).I have Orloff and Kraienkoppe roo's that are quite mellow also.

If you want to try something different than the age old silkie or Cochin maybe try a sultan if you can find one. I just got a sultan (pullet) at a swap a week ago and this is by far the most personable chicken I've ever had. I know the breed is supposed to be pretty tame. She seemed dumb at first until I trimmed her poof around her eyes then she became a little brighter. Lol. But this chicken prefers me over the others and was even purring today! And as far as I know the previous owner probably didn't hold them much. So this is just her personality.

Back
Top Bottom