Rooster, what do I do?

No problem. I have to move my Pens around because of the flooding we had here a few months ago. So we built 4 panels and are doing just That - the Removable Panel between. Only because I'm getting more chickens in mid March. So until then, my Rooster will be in 1 of those pens. We did them like a triangle shape. The 4th (removable) panel divides the triangle. Then in March, he gets a wire kennel I have that's for large dogs. ;-)

If you only have two hens and one cockerel, go ahead and get rid of him. That's a very small number of hens for an active young male bird. Plus, why keep a male you didn't want? If I could only have three birds, I'd be wanting each of them to be egg producers, not freeloaders. Look for another hen to bring into your flock, preferably around the same age or a touch older. Don't keep the rooster in a dog crate, there's no point in living like that, it honestly sounds mean to me. Chickens are made to be social, and roosters are made to mate hens. If he can't do that, trust me, he'd likely prefer a humane death.

If you only have two hens and one cockerel, go ahead and get rid of him. That's a very small number of hens for an active young male bird. Plus, why keep a male you didn't want? If I could only have three birds, I'd be wanting each of them to be egg producers, not freeloaders. Look for another hen to bring into your flock, preferably around the same age or a touch older. Don't keep the rooster in a dog crate, there's no point in living like that, it honestly sounds mean to me. Chickens are made to be social, and roosters are made to mate hens. If he can't do that, trust me, he'd likely prefer a humane death.

Well true but I would let him go at it with my girls every once in a while, especially in the spring, so he'll like that, and sorry I forgot to tell you two years ago I got four others, so I have seven right now. Don't get me wrong, I want the roo, just the one he chose is the weakest, and it don't know how long shell last with the weight on her, she has collapsed a few times over the summer and she's finally getting healthy again, I just don't want him to go around with his weight and all. Thank you again, this is helping a lot!

I guess I missed it, is he being overly assertive on the hens or did you just see him mate one or twice?

I would leave him with the hens if he is not continuing to harass them, if he is not the top of the pecking order they will most likely keep him in line.

IMHO

Back
Top Bottom