Rooster???

Shanks are quite thick and is that a sickle feather in his tail?. Lot harder in pure white birds, but certainly looks and sounds like a roo.

The more I read from everyone -- thank you for your help!- and the mire i think about it... the more sure I am that this is a roo... Hhmmmm... Now to keep or not to keep...

He is pretty. Very pretty. His body type isn't quite right for a true bred White Rock. That said, if he is a good bird and fun to have around, I see no reason not to keep him. I'd like to see you post a photo of him at 20 weeks, if he is still around your place. I'd like to see how he turns out. Some of these males take a long long time to bloom, as it were.

He is pretty.  Very pretty.  His body type isn't quite right for a true bred White Rock.  That said, if he is a good bird and fun to have around, I see no reason not to keep him.  I'd like to see you post a photo of him at 20 weeks, if he is still around your place.  I'd like to see how he turns out.  Some of these males take a long long time to bloom, as it were.

Thank you for the good info! The same guy who sold me the "rhode island white" sold me an Ameraucana telling me it was a black australorp. (I bought all my 5 chicks when they were 2-3 days old). I am going to try to keep my white JoJo as long as possible. ( I live in the country but my landlord doesn't want us to have a rooster...) this one loves my husband and follows him around like a puppy!!

I have 4 peeps 3 months old. Was sold as pullets. Millie a R. I. R. who I think may be a roo. My question is, if I keep the Roo what happens if I choose not to let the hens hatch their eggs. I'm a newbie so I just don't know. Can fertile eggs be eaten, will it stress the hens out not being able to brood?

Back
Top Bottom