Rouen Duck thread

Here is a pic of their ducklings...rouen/runner...cutest ever!

I just got my first egg from my ducks! I have 4. All are Rouen. 3 girls 1 boy. My question is do they mate for life or will my boy take on and mate with all 3 girls? Never was able to keep ducks long enough to get eggs until now.

I just got my first egg from my ducks! I have 4. All are Rouen. 3 girls 1 boy. My question is do they mate for life or will my boy take on and mate with all 3 girls? Never was able to keep ducks long enough to get eggs until now.

He'll mate with all three girls and anything that will hold still long enough for him to mount. ;)

He'll mate with all three girls and anything that will hold still long enough for him to mount. ;)

Yay! Good to know I don't need to get another male. Was hoping to maybe hatch a few eggs from them but needed to know if I was only going to get 1 fertile egg out of 3 once they all start laying or 3 fertile ones. Very happy!! Will wait til everyone starts laying before incubating any.

I got 5 Rouen ducklings today. Or at least that's what I'm now hoping I have. They all have the 2 eye stripes, but when I was looking them over a little while ago, I noticed that all 5 have clipped back toes. Is there even the slimmest chance that my local Tractor Supply uses a hatchery full of goobers that clip Rouens as well as Mallards, or should I just hang my head in shame that I didn't notice the clipped toes while still in the store?

I got 5 Rouen ducklings today. Or at least that's what I'm now hoping I have. They all have the 2 eye stripes, but when I was looking them over a little while ago, I noticed that all 5 have clipped back toes. Is there even the slimmest chance that my local Tractor Supply uses a hatchery full of goobers that clip Rouens as well as Mallards, or should I just hang my head in shame that I didn't notice the clipped toes while still in the store?

Pics of their faces?

It's possible that the TSC uses a goober hatchery. I can't imagine why they'd clip Rouens.

Ignore the mess.I have them in the tub while we get the brooder cleaned up from the pekins. I tried to get a photo of each of them. In the process I saw a few that I'm pretty sure are mallards :(

Here's #1 (the one in the middle, only one in focus)

#5 I'm pretty sure this one is a mallard now. Which sucks, because it is not only the biggest, but also the only friendly one.

They definitely look like Rouen. That last one COULD be a Rouen, there is a hint of a double stripe. And mallards are a lot smaller. He could be older than the others, maybe.

Whew! I feel relieved now, haha. I know TSC can be unreliable when it comes to poultry, but I know the manager and she said they were all 3 days, so I'm hoping that is right and he/she is just a big bugger. If they do turn out to be Rouens, we're planning on keeping 1 drake and 2 ducks, and want them to be as friendly as possible. That big one sat on my shoulder and snuggled for a good couple hours this evening, so I'm especially rooting for that one being a Rouen :D

Back
Top Bottom