Rouen Duck thread

I wonder how much longer until our girl(s) decide its time to sit.
I collect eggs every day. I noticed different behavior from the Rouen. She made a nest and was sitting in it longer and longer every day. She did that for days. Then she stopped laying eggs. I waited a day or two and then gave her 4 eggs in her nest. She took to them right away. I did not expect the ducks to go broody so it was a nice surprise to see her behaviors take shape. I waited until I thought she was ready before attempting to give her eggs. This was my first broody so I wasn't sure what to expect.
Good luck with your girls!

I collect eggs every day.  I noticed different behavior from the Rouen.  She made a nest and was sitting in it longer and longer every day.  She did that for days.  Then she stopped laying eggs.  I waited a day or two and then gave her 4 eggs in her nest.  She took to them right away.  I did not expect the ducks to go broody so it was a nice surprise to see her behaviors take shape.  I waited until I thought she was ready before attempting to give her eggs.  This was my first broody so I wasn't sure what to expect.  
Good luck with your girls!

I dont know what to expect either. I was told there is a "magic" number before they sit. It has been about 2 weeks since I stopped so not sure if they are edible anymore. Not sure if I should start collecting again and wait until they are a little older. Our ducks lay between dusk & dawn so not sure if they sit on them only at night. I want some baby ducks! Might break down and get an incubator.

With their first molt at approximately 4 1/2 months old our two Rouens got their drake coloring in and acquired their drake curl. My Swedish Blue drake got his curl at about this same age too. I saw a start to his at 3 months, but just a little turn up .

Broke down and got an incubator today. Last I checked there was 26 eggs. They will be going in tomorrow morning. Fingers for a great first hatch :)

clap.gif
Good luck! Please keep us posted!

I have a six month old drake and 2 two month old hens. I'm a little concerned because the girls are already bigger than my drake. Will they always be bigger than him, or is he just growing slowly? May not be the best picture, let me know if another is needed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom