Rouen Duck thread

alot of people who raise ducks dont eat them for instance i have never eaten any of the ducks i raise but i do go duck hunting as it is a way to control the wild population and stop the spread of disease. I do eat the ducks that are hunted because it would be disrespectful not too, but if i raise a duck it thinks that i am its mother and it trusts me so i could never eat one of them.

Last edited:
I don't eat the ducks we raise either. We started in March 2014 with four Rouen ducklings. People told us they were good to eat and terrible egg layers, but my females were excellent egg layers, especially this summer. Sadly, two of them were killed by predators. After some research, I think the second one was killed by a raccoon. I think we may plan to build a pen very soon, and may even place our duck house inside of it.

If we add some new females to our flock for the purpose of eggs, we will probably stick with Rouen ducks; however, do any of you have a mixed flock? I want to stick with our one Rouen drake, so I'm not quite sure if I should get a different breed of female--like Indian Runners or Pekin. Our drake does his job well by taking the females foraging through our backyard. I don't want to give him any male competition. We only need about three females--no more than four--to produce eggs for our family.

DuckVenture
caf.gif

I've had 2 Rouens and 2 Pekins together since they were a few days old. I've had them since the end of April. Both Rouens are female and 1 of the Pekins is female. They get along just fine and all of my females are laying daily. I hope you keep your little flock going. It sounds like you really care about them. Good luck!

Hello Rouen thread!!

My daughter has (finally) decided on Rouen ducks. We will be ordering 2 females next week for her/our pet ducks.

I will post pics when we get them, we are very excited!

Now back to building the pond, the duck house, the fence, the predator prevention....................

Good luck! I have two rouens and Oh I adore them. Such happy little birds. Not in my original plan but we got impatient and took what we could get and I am so glad or I would never of known how mush I love Rouens.

I bought some ducks that were supposed to be laying mallards: 3 females and 4 males. They were supposedly laying 3 eggs a day. They layed 3 eggs on Day 1 and one egg on Day 3, it's been 3 weeks and that's all I've gotten. Also the eggs are blue. A friend of ours thinks they may be rouens but they only have one eye stripe. What do you guys think? Also, do they go through molt like chickens? Do they only lay in the spring and summer?

Back
Top Bottom