Rubbing Alcohol?

I used proxide when the wound was FRESH as a flush and do not plan on using it again. Thank you for all the posts
smile.png
Very appreciated

Quote:
Debridement of non-viable tissue is a separate issue, and a cell lysing agent can actually assist in this. But this is predisposed to your knowing when it's optimal to debride a wound as opposed to encouraging healing and granulation. Initial use is probably not a bad thing, but if you do it every other day as opposed to when you see necrotic tissue building up that needs debridement, it's not optimal for healing.

I should note that I'm referring to peroxide, not rubbing alcohol. There *is* no appropriate time to use ethanol on an actual wound.

Last edited:
Quote:
Debridement of non-viable tissue is a separate issue, and a cell lysing agent can actually assist in this. But this is predisposed to your knowing when it's optimal to debride a wound as opposed to encouraging healing and granulation. Initial use is probably not a bad thing, but if you do it every other day as opposed to when you see necrotic tissue building up that needs debridement, it's not optimal for healing.

I should note that I'm referring to peroxide, not rubbing alcohol. There *is* no appropriate time to use ethanol on an actual wound.

Correct, you type more clearly.
smile.png
Rubbing alcohol is external only - Peroxide is "use as directed" - Chlorodex is use liberally. (I got mine in a gallon from Vally Vet supply)

The dermatologist told me: never use either rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide on an open wound. Both kill the living exposed tissue. This is painful, as you yourself well know, and in this case the pain is because the chemical is causing injury. The other problem with this practice is that after you have killed that tissue it becomes a breeding ground for bacteria, colonizing that dead flesh. Clean open wounds with sterile saline. Buy it in any store, it's cheap. That is what they do in hospitals and clinics, they use alcohol to sterilize instruments. They put it on your skin sometimes but your skin has layers and layers of dead cells on the outside.

Back
Top Bottom