Ruffled neck feathers, what does it mean?

That's an act of aggression, like a dog's hair standing up on it's back. They're just ready to peck. Pecking order will take it's place and you'll just have to deal with it unless there's blood.

I have a similar problem...I thought only roosters puffed out their neck feathers like this. I have two cuckoo marans and only one of them "play" fights with another cockerel. They only have a stair down contest and then break it up. The problem is both of the Cuckoo Marans look identical in size, shape, stance, everything. Is this behavior something that a pullet would do? Oh these birds are about 6mo old.

I wonder how many words or terms in common English usage are poultry related? Pecking order, raising hackles, flying the coop, cooped up--there must be lots more.
I can think of some more: hen pecked, scarce as a hens teeth, running around like a chicken with your head cut off, (youll have to excuse that last one, I don't much like it either), ,but I was thinking the same thing the other day how real these sayings are becoming now....all except the last one..

I can think of some more: hen pecked, scarce as a hens teeth, running around like a chicken with your head cut off, (youll have to excuse that last one, I don't much like it either), ,but I was thinking the same thing the other day how real these sayings are becoming now....all except the last one..
Don't count your chickens before they've hatched.......looks like chicken scratch (when referring to someone's handwriting). Funny this was brought up, because my husband and I have been trying to come up with all the ones we can think of for weeks. Someone should start a whole new thread for this. We might see some we have never heard of because they are regional. Could be interesting.

Last edited:
Pullets do it too. Even without a rooster there's still a pecking order to figure out and even that will change over time as they age.

Back
Top Bottom