Rules for The Coop that the books don't tell you. My experience as a newbie.

And never forget that loose stinky Cecal poop Is lovely Chanel no 5 for the dog.... My dog used to dab it behind her ears.... LOVELY... shed come in the house stinking to high heaven... Id look down at her and she would be like "What....!!?"

deb
My dog eats it........ewwwww.....

My #1 tip: never enter the chicken run wearing polka dot anything, but especially trousers, because those little dots look just like food crumbs to a starving chicken (they're always starving).

OH yes, the dreaded "melted" chickens.

Another thing...

*Roosters dance.  Well, they THINK they can dance.  All of mine have either looked like they have a broken limping leg, or are recovering from a stroke of some kind, or have some inner ear balance problem.  The upside is, that it usually distracts the hens long enough (they drop to the ground laughing I suspect) that he can get his groove on.  So Mr Rooster thinks he's the worlds best dancer and makes it part of his mating repertoire.
That cracked me up! I'm reminded of Elaine dancing on Seinfeld!

That cracked me up! I'm reminded of Elaine dancing on Seinfeld!
I've been trying to describe my rooster's dance to my husband and could never come up with a description that was exact, but you've just done it! lol Thanks!
celebrate.gif

They want to watch if there's a fight. I used to have next door neighbors who got into fights with a lot of loud yelling. ALL the chickens would line up against the fence on their side and start squawking back the whole time. I don't know if they were complaining, offering advice or taking bets and rooting!

Omg this thread had me rolling. I'm now wondering if that's what all their squawking is (the egg song) whenever I hear them do it. And it's so true about the rooster! Lol! If they're out of the run free ranging the backyard, he will squawk back and get so concerned... Then the other hen squawks, she squawks back and I'm just standing at the back glass door with my head tilted "What the heck is going on?!..."

Totally subscribing to this thread lol.

I've got one...

Don't bother spending money on a nice waterer cause the chickens would rather die of thirst to be able to drink out of whatever you have in the yard that got rained on. Lol.

My two hens are going to town on this garden stool like they haven't had water for days! I purposely rinsed it out and filled it with fresh water, haha..

I totally get that one @SemperChicken ! When I dump the old water out of my girl's waterer, they all rush up to the puddle and start lapping it up like it was a fine wine. The clean water? Eh, not so much, lol.

I totally get that one @SemperChicken ! When I dump the old water out of my girl's waterer, they all rush up to the puddle and start lapping it up like it was a fine wine. The clean water? Eh, not so much, lol.

Same!

Our well water is actually kind of toxic so as often as I can I catch rain water to use for them. I have all sorts of buckets set up right now, as it is really storming outside.

Back
Top Bottom