runner ducks

bullydog

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jan 12, 2008
NJ
I was thinking of getting a flock of runner ducks. I was thinking of having them free range but i can not deside on if i need to build a run in shed or just another coop. I could also extend my chickens run but I dont know if my chicken would like it.

I have my runners in separate coop than my chickens.mainly because ducks make a mess and they do need a kiddiepool or pond to muck around in ......mine do freerange..but are cooped up at night........they also have a covered "den" to get out of the elements

I was thinking to make a walk in coop for easier clean up, but i was just wondering if that if just a lil' to much. Just a standard 8ft by 8ft coop? How many ducks should i get? Also, are there wings going to have to be clipped so that they won't get over fence or will they stay close to the coop? uhhh, so many questions!

runners cant fly. Just make sure they cant get under anything. Their shape makes it easy to go under things because theyre flexible. My one runner duck knows how to get under stall doors. Haha. He's a sneaky bugger.

Last edited:
what about there predators? will it be the same as my chickens, hawk, buzzards, etc. there said to be called the pequin duck but they dont waddle they run!?

I would treat them as chickens as far as predators go......and they are more so in danger because of the lack of flying.......I have my runners in a run about 10 ft long and 5 ft wide......I have 3 of them in with 2 other breeds of ducks and they seem happy........ always get more girls than boys........ runners are hilarious to watch run.they do not waddle.......girls are noisier than boys..... mine have flown for short flights when I am in their coop.....but so far not when left alone...... they need a pool too. I have one that lives in the little kiddie pool they have.....
edited to add......I don't have my duck runs covered at all....... no hawk problems here as of yet....but if you do.it wouldn't hurt to cover every pen you own

Last edited:
I live next to a bird of prey filled baseball field...(they blocked it of because previous owns dump some bad chemicals some that i've never heard of...lol...i use to play there when i was young...hope they clean it up)...so i would have to cover it. thanks for all the help ill biuld the coop this spring AAAAA quality.

I find that my runner ducks are very aggressive towards all others, ducks, chickens, pheasants, etc. Mine are free range and they don't wander out of the backyard. my Muscovys go all over, not the runners.

Back
Top Bottom