Runt Baby Recessive White Jumbo Coturnix?

wingzrooke

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2018
So I just got two nine day old White Jumbo Coturnix chicks, but one of them is acting quite oddly, and is smaller than the other. It's acting like a runt - just laying down splayed out a lot, always walks under the others (instead of over like all the other chicks do. I also got 4 regular colored Jumbos and 2 older white ones). Is there something I can do to help this little guy fatten up a little? Maybe mashed up bugs? Also, is it normal for their poop to be very runny? I am worried they may be sick...

Thanks for reading! And for any help you feel like offering. :)

Below is a picture of "Little Nudge" (the possibly runty, possibly sick white Jumbo chick in question) both one with his brother and all splayed out

Last edited:
So I just got two nine day old White Jumbo Coturnix chicks, but one of them is acting quite oddly, and is smaller than the other. It's acting like a runt - just laying down splayed out a lot, always walks under the others (instead of over like all the other chicks do. I also got 4 regular colored Jumbos and 2 older white ones). Is there something I can do to help this little guy fatten up a little? Maybe mashed up bugs? Also, is it normal for their poop to be very runny? I am worried they may be sick...

Thanks for reading! And for any help you feel like offering. :)
A high protein feed is always best for quail or at least in my experience. Mealworms are a treat but add protein. Also boiled eggs are a good source of protein that mine love. When you say splayed out do you mean the legs themselves or just laying out? Pics? I'm not sure about the poop. Mine have both depending on the heat outside and how much water they intake.

When you say splayed out do you mean the legs themselves or just laying out? Pics?
So I have two pics. One is just Little Nudge (the quail chick I am worried about) splayed out.
Nudge and Bro.jpg

Little Nudge is the chick laying down in the above pic. He starts laying down like in the picture above, and then ends up like this:

Splayed Little nudge_Closeup.jpg

None of the other chicks do this...but I guess he could just be weird. Or maybe sick.

So I have two pics. One is just Little Nudge (the quail chick I am worried about) splayed out.
View attachment 1422793
Little Nudge is the chick laying down in the above pic. He starts laying down like in the picture above, and then ends up like this:

View attachment 1422796

None of the other chicks do this...but I guess he could just be weird. Or maybe sick.
Yes that's quite normal mine gave me a scare once. I thought they all died and they were just lounging. I call that their lounge pose. Give them a good high protein feed and Lil guy should catch up.

Back
Top Bottom