Russian Orloffs

I was just checking out Stromberg's hatchery and noticed that they had Orloff's, you can get 25 for under a hundred dollars plus shipping. Not a bad deal. Has anyone ordered RO's from them and how were they? Does Urch supply their RO's by chance?

I was just checking out Stromberg's hatchery and noticed that they had Orloff's, you can get 25 for under a hundred dollars plus shipping. Not a bad deal. Has anyone ordered RO's from them and how were they? Does Urch supply their RO's by chance?
You can email Mr Urch directly and ask (I think it's actually his son that answers the emails). His email is [email protected]. He used to have them on his breed list a number of years ago, but I thought he got rid of them a while back.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update.

The feed store in town will get in some Orloff chicks next month from Privett hatchery. I think I'll hold out and wait to find a breeder, since I want to start with good stock.

I might pick up some layers just to get my chck fix!

I went to the Sandhill website. One thing I noticed they have both Mahogany and Spangled RO's. They say the Spangled RO is a gentle bird. That term is ommited on the Mahogany. Do you think that was an oversite , or was somthing lost in temperment breeding for color?

One thing to keep in mind is people can make all the general statements they want about a breed, but really it comes down to the line. I keep reading that ROs aren't good layers but don't find that to be the case with my birds, unless you consider a spring average of 5-6 eggs per week poor layers. Also, at this stage you will probably have far more invested in infrastructure than birds. So find the best source available to you, get a few, see if you like them. If not, you can try another source next year.

thumbsup.gif

Riddle is right. The birds are going to know how to eat and roost and let them selves in and all that. Relax and enjoy

Back
Top Bottom