S.O.S! JAPANESE BEETLES! 😭

RainbowHen

Make eggs, not war
Jul 10, 2020
Wisconsin
My Coop
My Coop
This year I was finally able to build and plant a beautiful garden after many years without one. Our garden has been doing wonderfully. However, the evil little Japanese beetles are wreaking havoc. Every year they destroy my beautiful Ostrich Ferns and have now found themselves some tasty snacks in the garden.

I have a DIY spray that kills them on contact sending the little sons-of-biscuits right back to where they came from. I spray the ferns 2-3 times a day trying to make a dent in the population. I kill 20-100 at a time. They are resilient little buggers. Unfortunately my spray also burns the plants. I have tried a few variations with the same results.

In the garden they have been having an all-you-can-eat buffet on my beans and basil plants. These are some of my favorite crops. They are trying out almost every other plant in the garden as well. The ferns and beans handle the spray well enough but some of my plants have been unfortunate victims to overspray and have been burned. I also have traps away from the garden that are successful but not successful enough.

The high time for the beetles is in the heat of the day and unfortunately that also makes my plants the most sensitive to the spray. I knock the buggers in buckets with soapy water. Tried DE and neem oil.

Anyone ever used nematodes? I'm overwhelmed with the selection and trying to find a reputable source. Anything else I can do?

I need help. I'm begging. My poor garden 😭
IMG_20200724_201100.jpg
IMG_20200724_200219.jpg
IMG_20200724_200140.jpg
IMG_20200717_134604.jpg

Oh my. I have these. Been seeing them for a couple of weeks now but didn't realize what they were. Also have the stupid cucumber beetle. I have a friend in ag that I texted and asked if he has advice. If he responds I'll follow up. Without his advice, I'd try neem oil spray, but spray it in the evening and try to avoid flowers because it's not good for honeybees.

Oh my. I have these. Been seeing them for a couple of weeks now but didn't realize what they were. Also have the stupid cucumber beetle. I have a friend in ag that I texted and asked if he has advice. If he responds I'll follow up. Without his advice, I'd try neem oil spray, but spray it in the evening and try to avoid flowers because it's not good for honeybees.
I did try neem oil with bad luck,( burned the plants badly even when applied in the evening), but I will try again. Maybe I got the mix wrong.

Back
Top Bottom