Safeguard and Feather Damage While Molting

Yikes even though they are dead it scares me to see those. The year I wormed my peas once and then the next year wormed them and I saw what I believed to be worms in their poo, that is exactly what I saw is what is in your photos. I would find maybe 4 of those in a few different poops around the pen. Scared the crud out of me and I will never skip a worming again! On a regular worming routine (treatment before and after breeding season) I would never see that in the poop. It was only after skipping a worming that when I wormed again finally I noticed something in the poop. Now is probably time for me to worm my babies again actually, so I will look at the poo. Last time I wormed I did the 3 cc per gallon of water for 3 days then after 10 days I treated again. That is what I will do this time too. Previously I would just treat once and not repeat after 10 or so days. I also started putting the 3 cc in several very shallow water dishes and in some of the food.
Be warned, 3cc a gallon is what did *not* kill those worms and KsKingBee lost one of his chicks to worms because he had been doing 3cc be gallon.

-Kathy

Yikes even though they are dead it scares me to see those. The year I wormed my peas once and then the next year wormed them and I saw what I believed to be worms in their poo, that is exactly what I saw is what is in your photos. I would find maybe 4 of those in a few different poops around the pen. Scared the crud out of me and I will never skip a worming again! On a regular worming routine (treatment before and after breeding season) I would never see that in the poop. It was only after skipping a worming that when I wormed again finally I noticed something in the poop. Now is probably time for me to worm my babies again actually, so I will look at the poo. Last time I wormed I did the 3 cc per gallon of water for 3 days then after 10 days I treated again. That is what I will do this time too. Previously I would just treat once and not repeat after 10 or so days. I also started putting the 3 cc in several very shallow water dishes and in some of the food.

While I appreciate that you know the importance of worming I really would advise that you rethink the dosage you plan to worm with. The peachick that these worms came out of had already had two worming's with the traditional 3cc per gallon of water for five days separated by one week off. It wasn't until I followed my vets prescription, the same one that Kathy recommends here, that I killed these worms. Three CC's in a gallon of water did not kill these worms.

Well, they day started out ok, DW said 'There's a coyote setting in the field watching the birds'. BOOM! Now there is a coyote laying in the field watching nothing.
celebrate.gif

Then went out to feed the flock, mixed up the Safeguard into the mash and was putting it into their bowls when I noticed that a little broody raised chick was feeling down. We noticed it yesterday coughing a bit but it looked worse today so we gave it a shot of Baytril. In about three minutes it was dead.
hit.gif
Now, these birds have been wormed recently with Safeguard in the water, 3ml per gallon and the fecal exam we did last week showed there to be round worm eggs. I started putting the correct amount into the mash and today was the second day of treatment.

We took the chick to the vet to have a necropsy done and this is what we found.

There was a black spot on the liver and two worms in it. The gut had around thirty more worms in it, most of them dead only a few were still moving. The vet said that the bird was likely going to die within a few hours anyway but the stress of being caught heightened the heart rate and the stress killed it. Most of the internal organs looked clean except the liver and gut.

The massive amount of worms dying could have been enough to cause a toxicity problem but they had not had time to decompose yet so the damage had already been done. Remember that these birds have already been through two worming treatments given in the water. The Safeguard in the food had killed most of the worms after one feeding.

The vet and I had talked about doing a one day worming on the grow out pen and following it up a week later with a five day worming. Any thoughts?

Be warned, 3cc a gallon is what did *not* kill those worms and KsKingBee lost one of his chicks to worms because he had been doing 3cc be gallon.

-Kathy
Quote:
While I appreciate that you know the importance of worming I really would advise that you rethink the dosage you plan to worm with. The peachick that these worms came out of had already had two worming's with the traditional 3cc per gallon of water for five days separated by one week off. It wasn't until I followed my vets prescription, the same one that Kathy recommends here, that I killed these worms. Three CC's in a gallon of water did not kill these worms.
Okay I was hoping you would tell me if that was good or not. Sorry this topic has gotten so big and I was getting confused with what the final conclusion was as far as what is the best treatment.
What did you recommend Kathy or could you give me the page # that you said your recommendation on?
hide.gif

I will write it down somewhere or possibly put it on my website if that is okay.

Edit: I went back and looked and still couldn't find it...I found were it said that 5 cc isn't even enough...
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Has anyone used the Safe-Guard
00ae.png
Multi-Species Dewormer pellets for peas? I wonder if they eat the pellets or just pick around them and eat the other feed? I'm sure it's not as cost effective as the liquid, but it sounds easy to just mix it in with 5 days worth of feed and leave them to it. It might be even better to somehow evenly distribute the liquid directly into the feed, then they couldn't avoid eating it.

Quote: The research I have done just happens to be exactly what KsKingBee's vet recommended, which is Safeguard liquid or paste at 0.5ml per 2.2 pounds for five days.

That works out to:
  • Large adult male - 3ml
  • Large adult female - 2ml
  • Small adult male - 2ml
  • Small adult female - 1.5ml
  • Large 3 month old chick - 1ml
  • Medium 3 month old chick - 0.8ml
  • Small 3 month old chick - 0.7
Above doses are for liquid *or* paste.

I prefer to work all of mine orally, but I can understand why some people don't want to, and I guess if I had to choose between food or water or food, I'd choose food. To do that I would guess the weight of my flock in pounds or kg and do a little math. I would then most likely put the amount of Safeguard needed in some water, mix well and then I'd use that water to make a mash. I think Zazouse puts her wormer in eggs?

Hope this helps,
Kathy

Has anyone used the Safe-Guard
00ae.png
Multi-Species Dewormer pellets for peas? I wonder if they eat the pellets or just pick around them and eat the other feed? I'm sure it's not as cost effective as the liquid, but it sounds easy to just mix it in with 5 days worth of feed and leave them to it. It might be even better to somehow evenly distribute the liquid directly into the feed, then they couldn't avoid eating it.
The pellets are 0.5%, so one would have to feed them a lot of it to get the required dose. Knowing peas, they probably won't eat it, lol.

-Kathy

It might be even better to somehow evenly distribute the liquid directly into the feed, then they couldn't avoid eating it.

That is exactly what I do. I know how much feed they will eat in one setting, You have to know the approx. weight of the birds to be wormed, add the correct amount of liquid Safeguard to the water and add that to the feed making a mash. Five days in a row and there is no question whether they got the proper dosage.

That is exactly what I do. I know how much feed they will eat in one setting, You have to know the approx. weight of the birds to be wormed, add the correct amount of liquid Safeguard to the water and add that to the feed making a mash. Five days in a row and there is no question whether they got the proper dosage.

@dheltzel Did you see the photos where I put the liquid Safeguard on bread cubes and fed the individual doses to the individual birds? That worked really, really well, and I know the bird got the full dose because I watched it go down!

Of course, I only have a few birds, not a whole field full...
lau.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom