Safeguard and Feather Damage While Molting

Someone just posted this and I thought you all might be interested:
I noticed Tapeworm segments in my chickens poo several weeks ago. After researching all the threads here on BYC about tapeworm treatments, I decided to purchase pricey Valbazen from my local vet. I have fours girls, so I treated them all at the same time. I gave each chicken .5ml in a syringe orally. I waited 10 days and repeated with a second treatment. There were STILL segments in their poo 20 days after starting treatment. I did a bit more research here and discovered it may be possible that the girls are reinfecting themselves, so I started another round of treatment. I made sure they had all new bedding in their coop (which I clean regularly anyway). I cleaned out the run too. During the day my girls free range in my backyard, so they are never cooped up in their own poo for long periods. Now they have each had a total of four .5ml doses, and I don't know what else to do. I have seen the threads that suggest Zimectrin gold with praziquantel, and I could try that. I just don't get why Valbazen would seemingly do nothing. Below is a video I took yesterday of their poo. Any suggestions?
0.jpg
-Kathy

Those are not segments. Is it just me or do those look like something besides tapeworm? Not that it matters as I would suspect Valbazen would cure the problem anyway. Bad drugs, not shaking the Valbazen up? You would be shocked at the number of people that don't realize it settles in the bottle!

Those are not segments. Is it just me or do those look like something besides tapeworm? Not that it matters as I would suspect Valbazen would cure the problem anyway. Bad drugs, not shaking the Valbazen up? You would be shocked at the number of people that don't realize it settles in the bottle!
I sent the video to UC Davis and asked them to identify the worms. Good point on shaking liquids before use, I'm sure many people don't.

-Kathy

I have seen tapeworm segments that looked and moved like that, on a cats back end. They don't go anywhere they just kind of grope around, then they dry up in the air and end up looking like grains of rice.

Back
Top Bottom