Scratch?

If you're wanting to use the "grain and mash" method of feeding then naturally scratch grains are important. Presuming you have a feed formulated to go that way of course. Back when I used to use it I mixed whole corn, whole oats, and wheat and fed it in tube feeders. Also used just corn and oats and eventually got it down to just corn. Got away from it when grain prices went through the roof several years ago as it was no longer economically advantageous for me here in Florida.

For the folks who are feeding a typical 15-16% complete layer feed though scratch is not really necessary though it is useful in some circumstances. I still use a little of it myself (whole corn) but not much anymore.

I have 22 chickens around 9 wks old and are of a mixed flock of layers. I feed Purina Layer now. 2 lbs in the morning as a wet mash and 1 lb of Purina scratch grains at 4pm. They are in a run which is 50 feet by 8 feet but we rotate the runs every month when the grass, weeds, ect are nearly gone. They also receive daily... veggie scraps (lettuce, fruits, garden stuff) and assorted house hold scraps. They gobble their rationed feed in minutes. Do they need more Layer food daily. How do I know that they are getting enough to eat?

I have 22 chickens around 9 wks old and are of a mixed flock of layers. I feed Purina Layer now. 2 lbs in the morning as a wet mash and 1 lb of Purina scratch grains at 4pm. They are in a run which is 50 feet by 8 feet but we rotate the runs every month when the grass, weeds, ect are nearly gone. They also receive daily... veggie scraps (lettuce, fruits, garden stuff) and assorted house hold scraps. They gobble their rationed feed in minutes. Do they need more Layer food daily. How do I know that they are getting enough to eat?

Your birds are only 9 weeks old? Why are you feeding them Layer now?

That is what was recommended at the feed supply store when they came off the started medicated crumbles. I am new to this and the Poultry rep. recomended "Layer" and some scratch grains. What should they be getting? Grower food? That is what I thought came next but could be mistaken. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

That is what was recommended at the feed supply store when they came off the started medicated crumbles. I am new to this and the Poultry rep. recomended "Layer" and some scratch grains. What should they be getting? Grower food? That is what I thought came next but could be mistaken. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
They can get either grower or they can stay of starter.
You birds are still chicks and should not be getting any layer.

Chris

I was happy to see this question posted because I had to Google "scratch" to find out what it was and if my chickens needed it!!! My chickens came to me with a diet that included scratch in the feed. The scratch was also used as a training tool. I've replaced the scratch with dried meal worms. I read that meal worms are healthier for the chickens and my chickens love them!!! I just have to shake the jar and they come running. I've found the best price on dried meal worms at Wal-Mart and Amazon.

Back
Top Bottom