Sdwd

I do find that chickens pretty much stick with their own breed. Isn't that funny? I have hundreds of chickens running around out here, and most of them stick to their breed.

I took some random shots of my F3s today. I posted them HERE.

The old adage 'Birds of a feather, flock together" is so very true, no matter how it taken in concept as either the fact of the like colored birds sticking with there own or in the generality of like bands of thieves or gang thugs/ne'erdowells.

Anyway on the raising of different colored birds together almost always the lone white one will get all the flack from the rest. If there's and even amount it not so bad, but then it will likely revert to the weak/meeker ones then. Survival of the fittest or natural selection is in play here at its best however you want to see it. In a natural state you can sure bet in the food chain, the lower ranked animals such as chickens are; a white bird WILL not last in the wilderness as they are a walking target already and it is natural for the sibling/members of the flock to rid this target in the midst of them as it will surely draw danger to them too. Just sayin'

We had broiler houses for the 17 years of my child hood and school years and raised multiple hundred thousands of white birds. As there birds started to get their plumage in, we would have to go through and catch all the multiple colored ones (like white with brown or black random throughout their feathers) as the all white flock of 22,000 would cannibalize and kill these (intruding beast) too much differences.

Jeff

Last edited:
That reminds me. Today I had a BM hen who insisted on being in the garage. Escaping to be there. I chased her back and even picked her up and took her back, but she insisted. A short time later after thinking she would finally stay with the flock, I went out and there was an egg sitting on the mat in the garage but on the step just outside the kitchen door. I have no doubt it was hers.

Sure enough she was on the outside of the fencing, just laying there as though it was no big deal. I guess she's just like a lot of other females and wants to be near me.
lau.gif
I refuse to let myself become attached to my birds.

Cyn, I don't know if these are heritage birds, but I got a few Speckled Sussex and a few SLRW, and had a BLRW, and all of them are super friendly and not troublemakers. When they were young, they would jump up on a roost to pick through my hair!

The quilts are beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom