Sdwd

I did find this one listing I like. The name of the street is off-putting, LOL, but take a check on this:

http://www.crye-leike.com/2460-lead...181404-tid-rivercounties-mlsnum-20124563-ln-1

The description should keep it on the market for quite some time, but hey, the realtor was extremely honest! This cracked me up big time, LoL!! It wouldn't put us off of it, but it would kill most sales. The gun club is way behind the house (checked the tax maps) and through the woods. Unfortunately, it has a subdivision name, though. That bothers me way more than the gun range.
Quote:

I like that place! Love that there is no carpeting to deal with. Nice floors. Outside looks great.

I do love my big black English Orp girls. Love watching them waddle across the yard. I do agree though, they are not great layers. Fair, but not the best, for sure. I am thinking of getting rid of them.

I am happy to stick with the true heritage breeds that I enjoy - Rocks, Dels, and New Hamps.
(Besides my secret projects for entertainment and further enjoyment)
tongue.png

I know! No more Hostess. No more Twinkies. Of course, the Twinkies made before I was born will probably still be edible in 2056, LOL. Hey, Tim, now there's something you can store in your prepper cabinet!! hehehe.

Kathy, I PM'd Julie when Suede died because she sent me the hatching eggs he and Meg came from. She said she has a black hen from the original Sandhill shipment she got of BBS Orps that they call Grandma, so she'd be well over 6 years old now. You know, Dusty hasn't laid an egg since Suede died and neither Meg nor Nugget has started up laying again either. Of course, Hope was malfunctioning way before then, but losing the big guy really affected his girls.

Last edited:
Hope you guys don't mind me butting in here.

Kathy - regarding that Hostess picture. I can't believe the union chose to put the company out of business instead of taking a pay cut. 8% less pay is better than 100% less pay. DUH.

I have 2 blue English Orps. I love their poofiness (if that's a word) and I'm a sucker for blue chickens, but I will say I will probably never get more of them. For one, their butts get horribly poopy. For two, they are like pigs at the trough on feed. For three, they are decent layers - nice huge eggs, but not as consistent as most breeds. I guess they just aren't for me, as I'm not breeding them, so I want the eggs.

Last edited:
Hope you guys don't mind me butting in here.

Kathy - regarding that Hostess picture. I can't believe the union chose to put the company out of business instead of taking a pay cut. 8% less pay is better than 100% less pay. DUH.
Several unions were involved. ALL of them agreed to go ahead, EXCEPT the "Baker's Union." They held out. And now - over 18,000 people are unemployed. I read that some bakers were crossing the picket line. They wanted to go against their union. Didn't help.....

No one in his right mind would have found the warnings idle, considering that the company had already declared bankruptcy in January of this year — but the cocksure leaders of the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers International Union (BCTGM) did, and continued to demand that workers strike at over two-dozen of the company’s 33 plants.

The union’s demands had plagued Hostess for years, forcing — through the legalized monopolization of labor supply — wages that the market wouldn’t bear. The striking line workers were paid healthy salaries, $16 to $18 per hour. In a low-profit, low-selling-price business such as baked goods (things that are basically commodities), those wages aren’t sustainable, especially considering that baking and distribution involve a lot of manpower.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the mean hourly wage for the designation of “bakeries and tortilla manufacturers” was $12.57 in 2011. Supposing that Hostess’ median wage was $17, they were paying 35 percent more than the national average.

Hostess was looking for wage concessions of only eight percent. Even after the cuts, Hostess still would have been paying their workers handsomely, 24 percent more than the industry norm. Mind you, this one-year cut would have been followed by guaranteed wage increases of three percent in each of the three years that followed, capped off by one percent in the fourth year. So, the pain would have been only temporary and cancelled out in just three years.

But, BCTGM gambled and it didn’t pay off. Rather than keeping over 18,000 people gainfully employed in a bad economy, where the U6 employment rate is approaching 15 percent, they opted to put every one of them out on the streets, where their $680/week becomes $0/week until unemployment benefits kick in at $400/week, putting a drain on taxpayers who are already paying for unprecedented numbers of unemployed for unprecedented lengths of time. Once those benefits fade away, it’s very likely those workers will remain unemployed, as very few communities support a manufacturing base that can overcome the closure of bakeries as large as Hostess’. So, the union basically sent their workers to the bread lines — an ironic metaphor for food producers.

I was reading the entire Hostess fiasco with my mouth open...I absolutely couldnt believe that one union would do that. They even screwed themselves, because now no one of those 18,000 will be paying union dues, to pay for the union heads nice salaries. I was reading all the ire towards the salaries the executives were making at Hostess, but nothing about the salaries that the union bosses making those bad decisions were making. The saddest part, is that the executives will be just fine without Hostess, its the workers that are put out on the streets.

Way to go, union bosses.

I was reading the entire Hostess fiasco with my mouth open...I absolutely couldnt believe that one union would do that. They even screwed themselves, because now no one of those 18,000 will be paying union dues, to pay for the union heads nice salaries. I was reading all the ire towards the salaries the executives were making at Hostess, but nothing about the salaries that the union bosses making those bad decisions were making. The saddest part, is that the executives will be just fine without Hostess, its the workers that are put out on the streets.

Way to go, union bosses.
Union Bosses no longer care. Neither do the executives. I don't know about the rest of the ctry, but after insurance and taxes that is not a very high salary. It would definitely take two working hard here to make a decent living. Esp. with children. Gloria Jean

Just a little RR on the Hostess debacle......I was born and raised in a union household. Dad was a member of the Carpenters Union in Tacoma, Washington for more years than I care to count. He finally left the union when they and several other trades just about put the final nail in the coffin of Tacoma Boat Building Company in the mid 1980's. In his own words, the unions had grown too big for their britches and no longer served the interests of their members, but rather, the greed of the union bosses.

My dad had been a staunch union man for so many years, but even he was sickened by what he saw. He would have been one of the first to tell ya that the unions, for the most part, have outlived their usefulness. There's a reason that greed is considered one of the seven deadly sins.

I feel truly sorry for those union members [they were in the majority as I understand it] who had voted to take the wage reduction, only to have the greedy union bosses over ride their desires. They're the ones who are really going to suffer from this bad leadership. I wonder if they've considered banding together, forcing out their union bosses and striking a deal with Hostess before it's completely too late? [the courts being involved in this, you know the wheels will turn slowly!]

Kathy, I think every Twinkie, Cupcake and fruit pie probably flew off the shelves the minute the announcement to close the doors of Hostess were made. But good luck! Hope ya find a couple of cases to put aside for a future treat.

All those jokes about the shelf life of a Twinkie.......good, bad or indifferent, that shelf life may be the only thing that stands between them going completely extinct and tiding us over until another company can take over the factories and the recipes!.....Who's laughing now?!?!?

Back
Top Bottom