Sebastopol geese some facts need to be known!!!!!!

phoebs

Chirping
7 Years
May 30, 2012
tamworth (Australia)
i have know clue on how big sebbies get and i don't know how expensive they are!!?
i want to know a few things like how bigger pool they need how much food they go
threw a week. I don't know how many sebbies i should have?i don't know a whole lot about them
I just know i love them and want some really bad!!!!!!
droolin.gif

Sebbies are a somewhat smaller breed of goose. I got mine from a hatchery in the U.S. and they are more expensive than other breeds, but I have no idea what their availability is in Australia. I haven't really kept track of how much food they eat. They should have a feed that is made for water fowl ideally because they have somewhat different nutritional needs than chickens (they need more niacin). You could just get a few and then they would be alright with just a kiddie pool that you can change out the water easily every day. They are very sweet geese.

Most of their diet is satisfied by grazing. They are excellent lawnmowers. I don't even mow my backyard anymore. My ducks,geese, and chickens pretty much keep it mowed for me. I keep feed in their pen and they can eat as they feel like it. Sebs are not very successful at breeding due to their curly feathers. That is why they are so expensive. They need deep water, not just the smaller kiddie pool. I have a pond, so it's not a problem. They mainly mate on the water. They are beautiful. I love looking out back and seeing the wind blowing through their feathers. I only have two now, a male and a female. I hope to have more this spring during mating season. I just sold off the last of my babies a month ago. My goose laid an egg this week and it's not even laying season. I'm thinking she may be lonely without the babies. They are very family oriented. The babies were a year and weren't even hers, but they all went everywhere as a family.

Hope some of this information helps you. Good luck on your adventure to find some.

CM they don't need deep water to breed, or to be happy. All of ours have the largest sized kiddie pools, breed just fine in them. They actually spend most of their day in the shade grazing. We also had a very high fertility rate, and high hatch rate as well from our breeding groups.

I personally believe some infertility is related to feed quality. Often people over feed, and feed lesser quality food, then there is the GMO debate.

Back
Top Bottom